[amibroker] Re: System Performance Indicators [was: Can someone fix this OLE code?]

Nice work Fred,

I had to wait to get it from Purebytes so I haven't had time to check
it for mistakes ;-)

Thanks for looking after the 'old fella'.

It is a great study piece for AFL learners.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Fred Tonetti <ftonetti@xxx> wrote:

> The attached includes UI, UPI and some others .
>

>   _____

On Behalf
> Of Herman
> Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:39 AM
> To: Fred Tonetti
> Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: System Performance Indicators [was:
Can someone
> fix this OLE code?]
>

> Thank you Fred, you have been very helpful. Thanks to Tomasz and
you I must
> admit that this thread produced some real good ideas/stuff.
>

> And, yes, I'd love to have the other metrics like UI/UPI, etc. I'll
be
> peeking at you Equity() chart to see what I can steal from there.
And then
> there are custom formulas to rate equity curves as well. I feel
like making
> a single function that returns any metric either by number (for
> optimization) or by name. We could post that on the UKB and invite
people to
> contribute other metrics.
>

> herman
>

> For tips on developing Real-Time Auto-Trading systems visit:
>
> http://www.amibroke <http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/> r.org/userkb/
>

> Tuesday, May 20, 2008, 11:48:57 AM, you wrote:
>

> Nothing other than as I stated if the criteria meets the objective
then an
> Equity() based indicator fills the bill .
>

> See the attached . I haven't calculated all the performance metrics
but this
> satisfies the proof of concept to get both equity curve and trade
based
> performance metrics as of any given bar . The rest is grunt work to
fill in
> the missing metrics as per the page TJ pointed at.
>

> You can run the AFL as a backtest or as an optimize to see the AB
calculated
> metrics and/or you can plot the indicator which show arrows along
the equity
> curve and put the calculated metrics in the title.
>

> When I have time I'll finish the rest if you haven't done so
already.

>   _____

PositionSize %
> invested .
>

> If that is the case then you can get what you need from an
indicator using
> Equity() or Equity(1)
>

> Is this the case ?
>

>   _____

Window
> i.e. 0 = Don't Show, 1 = Show ( Default ) Other values in AB Doc
>

> None of the above arguments are case sensitive.  The default values
are at
> the top of the script.  Feel free to change them.
>

>   _____

WScript Sleep
> command which by definition is in terms of milliseconds.
>

> The default is 0 which tells it to run continuously which would
pretty well
> soak up a single core.
>

> One could however put in a value of say 0.25 or whatever to make it
at least
> somewhat intermittent.
>

> I didn't have any trouble getting it to run 10+ times in a second in
> continuous mode when I opted NOT to show the resulting AA Window
but as I
> said this will pretty well soak up a single core.
>

> Involving the Custom Backtester would I think take longer
>

> Running a script like this and having it perform a Backtest so that
one
> could get Performance Metric values for each bar is okay for the
purpose of
> finding something that works for ones system .
>

> However, a one iteration optimize will run significantly faster if
one is
> only interested in performance metrics as of the last bar and this
also
> obviates the need for the custom backtester as all AB performance
metrics
> are returned to the AA window which can be exported by the script
and then
> used however one wants programmatically.  I would think this would
suffice
> for a production system where one would only typically be
interested in
> those metrics as of the current or just closed bar.
>

>   _____

optimization.

> I am
>
> > making good progress, however having a simple function call to
>
> retrieve
>
> > performance metrics would simplify things, save me a bunch of
time,

> and add
>
> > versatility. The final step will be to tighten up the filters and
>
> optimize
>
> > code for speed.
>

> > Best regards,
>

> > herman
>

> > For tips on developing Real-Time Auto-Trading systems visit:
>

> > http://www.amibroke <http://www.amibroke
> <http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/> r.org/userkb/
> <http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/> > r.org/userkb/
>

> > Monday, May 19, 2008, 8:21:46 PM, you wrote:

> > Re bouncing emails . No problem .
>

> > Re control of AA processes . Actually there are LOTS of ways to
>
> control them
>
> > . However, did you at least look at the simple script I posted
that

> would
>
> > run the loaded AFL in AA ( Backtest ) every n milliseconds ?
>

> > If this really fails to meet the need that's fine but I'd at
least

> like to
>
> > know that you looked at the posts I put up for this and spent at
>
> least a
>
> > minute or two evaluating them.
>

> > _____
>

> > From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com>
ps.com
> <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com>  [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
> <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com> ]
>
> On Behalf
>
> > Of Herman
>

> > Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:15 AM
>

> > To: Fred Tonetti
>

> > Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: System Performance Indicators [was:
>
> Can someone
>
> > fix this OLE code?]
>

> > Fred, I have to work from an Indicator window to get Real-Time
>
> response wrt
>
> > process monitoring/display/reporting, user interfacing, GFX,
>
> AutoTrading,
>
> > etc. To distribute my actions over multiple modules, like BT,
Port

> BT,
>
> > Explore, Optimize, Scan, and Indicators complicates matters too
>
> much. That
>
> > is only possible for fixed procedures. The AA modules are like
>
> black boxes,
>
> > once you start a process there is no way to monitor and/or
control

> the
>
> > process. The AA reports static results, AFAIK, without external
>
> programming
>
> > there is nothing you can use in your RT calculations. I cannot
use

> the
>
> > Run-Every option.
>

> > btw Fred, my personal emails that went out to you earlier came
back

> > (bounced) today - I am on the road and have a problem with my
ISP.

> [...]
>
> > provide a general solution, and/or to learn OLE, CBT, GFX, etc.
>
> Spending
>
> > time learning new tools takes away from system development and
can

> set the
>
> > average part-time user back a year or more - and prevent him/her
>
> from ever
>
> > excelling in any area. It is far more expedient to just learn,
use,

> and know
>
> > well, a single language (AFL). Diversification requires you to
>
> divided your
>
> > time (and mental resources) over several areas. Remember that
after

> age
>
> > forty your mind starts to lose its edge :-) if you deny this you
>
> may be in
>
> > for a surprise.
>

> > But no hard feelings: I still love everyone :-)
>

> > Tomasz' solution is very elegant, and it is a very nice
>
> > demonstration/introduction to using the CBT. I love it and I
thank

> him for
>
> > it. However regretfully it does not solve my problem; it does not
>
> allow me
>
> > to access equity-derived performance metrics, in arrays, from an
>
> indicator
>
> > window without running the AA. I need in-line calculated values
>
> that are
>
> > refreshed as the chart is refreshed and that can be called from
>
> inside a
>
> > ticker-loop.
>

> > Best regards,
>

> > herman

> > For tips on developing Real-Time Auto-Trading systems visit:
>

> > http://www.amibroke <http://www.amibroke
> <http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/> r.org/userkb/
> <http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/> > r.org/userkb/
>
> > <http://www.amibroke <http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/>
r.org/userkb/
> <http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/> >
>

> > Monday, May 19, 2008, 5:43:28 PM, you wrote:
>

> > > There wasn't any frustration in it for me.
>

> > > I was disappointed that Herman was disappointed.
>

> > > My general point is that it is quite hard to communicate via
>
> boards
>

> > > like this, especially if the subject is complex or has nuances
>
> it.
>

> > > An undertone of miscommunication is the norm and we should
allow

> for
>

> > > that.
>

> > > Half the time I haven't got a clue what you are talking about
but

> put
>

> > > me down for a copy of the book.
>

> > > Before AB I used Metastock.
>

> > > I couldn't get the backtester to do what I wanted it to do so I
>
> ended
>

> > > up using their explorer as a pseudo backtester.
>

> > > The fact is that in many respects it worked quite well.
>

> > > That is how I know that it would be relatively easy to use the
AB

> > > indicator panes as a 'visual' backtester without the need for
>

> > > complicated code.
>

> > > The actual sticking point, which is why I left MS, is that the
>

> > > metrics were cumulative metrics (at least the way I did it
>
> anyway) so
>

> > > I couldn't get individual trades, as a series, to do
>
> distributions or
>

> > > account for wild outliers etc.
>

> > > The other challenge in MS was actually modelling the trades
>
> because
>

> > > their program didn't have the levels of customisation I needed
>
> for my
>

> > > entries and exists.
>

> > > Other than that it worked fine and if I could have done those
>
> things
>

> > > I would probably still be there now, not knowing any better.
>

> > > Of course now that I am at AB I am happy that the program is
>
> bigger
>

> > > than me. It was rather scary, to me, that a person with my
>
> background
>

> > > and experience outgrew MS in under a year.
>

> > > I don't see how anyone can complain because Tomasz has given us
>
> the
>

> > > CBT, OLE methods etc but at the same time I have my own
>
> preferences
>

> > > for and I don't mind sticking up for them.
>

> > > brian_z

> > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
> <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com> >
>
> ps.com
>
> > <mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com>
ps.com
> <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com> > , Dennis Brown <see3d@>

> involved,

> > > learn a

> > > though

> > > interests.

> of

AB/AFL.

> > > general

> am

> > > want

> an

> make
>

> > > an

> > > anyway,

> thrown

> > > discussions

> > > my

> the

> on

> working
>

> > > in

> train
>

> > > of

> have

> > > was

> talked

> > > value

> would
>

> > > want

> you

> correctly
>

> > > but

> Dennis's

> in

> > > outcome

> it

> > > that

> > > mistake

> think

> taught
>

> > > me

> > > policy to

> > > plugins

> > > little

> much

> <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
> <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com> >
>
> ps.com
>
> > <mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com>
ps.com