From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Robert Grigg
Sent: Tuesday, 20 May 2008 10:25
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [amibroker] Handling Missing Bars in a complex Chart layout

Hi All,

I have a multi-pane Chart layout that I access both from the AA results
window and from the drop-down box at the top of the chart screen.

Some of the securities I trade have missing bars due to trading suspensions
etc.  In the AA I can set ?Pad and Align? and this handles missing bars
perfectly.  When I come to display the results of a Chart (with missing
bars) the display does not correspond with back-tester results, due to the
missing bars.

I have been working with the Foreign and SetForeign commands in chart
presentation.  This enables me to show the missing bars, provided I set a
reference symbol (say the Index that trades every day) as the ?Subject?
symbol in the security selection box and make the symbol I want to display
the ?Foreign? symbol.  This works for a ?one-off? test but I have not yet
found a way to use it ?cleanly? in my system.  Further, all indicators in
other panes are based on the index rather than the security of interest.

In Wealth-lab Developer (a product I used previously) it is normal to "pad
and align" the subject symbol with a "foreign" (e.g. index) symbol and this
makes the solution to the problem intuitive and simple.

Can any-one suggest an AFL coding approach that:

Would allow a symbol to be selected from the drop-down list at the top of
the chart pane and would display it in a ?pad and aligned? manner (Missing
bars shown as dashes at previous close price, with volume at zero).

Would allow a symbol to be selected from the AA results window and have the
resulting Chart displayed again in a ?Pad and Aligned? manner.

(Behind the scenes there may need to be a process of setting up a reference
symbol , e.g. the Index, and then ?swapping? the foreign symbol (the index)
and the subject symbol.  Anyway, this has been the approach I have been
working on with little success.)

Perhaps there is a better approach?  As a new user of AmiBroker I feel as I
am constantly drinking from the fire-hose!

Any help would be appreciated.

Robert