[amibroker] Re: Dual-core vs. quad-core

Good morning,

Just to share some experience in Optimizing the Speed...  Mainly in
compiling of data with the ATC instruction with loops...

1)  Created a RAM Disk of 1G.  Copy the Data Folder to the RAM Disk
and then use the Data in the RAM Disk do the compiling. (Only worth
doing if compile a couple of times a day.. It cut down from 16 mins
to 11 mins. )

2)  MOVE the Data Folder to another physical drive.  Then perform the
disk defragmenter on the Amibroker Drive a couple of times.  Then
MOVE the Data Folder back to the original position.

3)  Chop Down the number of bars in Data Base.

The Current system is Intel Core 2 @2.13GHz with 4G RAM.

Yet to try is to upgrade the system with RAID4 with 4 Disks and
Q9450.

Is there any one can comment on the experience with RAID5 system?

Best Regards
KH Tang

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dennis Brown <see3d@xxx> wrote:

> It also makes me wonder if there is another possibility for speed
> optimization.  I run more than 1 RT chart at the same time to get
> multi-timeframe results that are not possible in a single chart --
then
> pass results between the charts.  It seems as though parallel
> processing would be possible between multiple "live" indicator
mode
> charts.  Maybe I will have to get the 8 core system next time :)
>
> Best regards,
> Dennis
>
> On May 14, 2008, at 10:13 AM, dloyer123 wrote:
>
> > Interesting result.  It is reasonable to expect newer and future
> > processors to have even larger caches.  6MB on the E8400
> >
> > So, there may be an opportunity to get useful work out of the
other
> > cores during long optimization runs.  Maybe large "work units"
such
> > as symbols lists or entire optimization passes to minimize sync
> > overhead?
> >
> > That also implies that user formula code could be optimized if we
> > group array access together, ie use a result right after it is
> > created, so it can be pulled out of cache, rather than wait until
> > later in the code.  I will have to try this...
> >

> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I just run the same code on my relatively new notebook (Core 2
Duo
> > 2GHz (T7250))
> >> and the loop takes less than 2ns per iteration (3x speedup). So
it
> > looks like the data sits entirely inside the cache.
> >> This core 2 has 2MB of cache and thats 4 times more than on
Athlon