[amibroker] Conceptual Approach to Rotation Trading Across Watchlists

  • To: <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] Conceptual Approach to Rotation Trading Across Watchlists
  • From: "Ken Close" <ken45140@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 08:34:44 -0400

This is a concept that I can not recall ever being discussed. Perhaps it has been and I just missed it or did not recognize it.

It is just a concept and I have been thinking about how to start, and frankly, have few ideas.  Admittedly, my skills with the custom backtester are limited, and I am sure the approach lies somewhere within the custom backtester.

I would like to rank each of say 5 watchlists, each of which is grouped by the type of security.
I would like to sort/rank and specify buying say the top stock or fund in each group.
I would like to add this top ranked stock/fund to a portfolio.
After a period of time, the five lists would be ranked again.
If a new top stock/fund appears, the stock previously purchased from this same watchlist would be sold and then new top ranked fund would be bought.
And so forth down the same 5 watchlists.
And backtest it all.

Might it be:

Set up a loop and loop through 5 watchlists
  Within the loop, extract the symbols.
     Within another loop, rank the list of symbols against some metric.
      Sort the list (perhaps using the recently published code by FredT for getting ordinal values for members of a watchlist)
      Save the top symbol to a StaticVariable
  Complete the loop.
Retrieve the symbols from the Variables
Buy equal amounts

Where I bog down:  how to do another ranking pass say 1 month later, and make buy and sell decisions based on new rankings?

Again, as I said, this is just a concept.  Has anyone done this and can you comment on the general approach?

Is this a useful concept to discuss?

Thanks for any ideas.

Ken