[amibroker] Re: OT - Matching monitor with video card?

One thing to keep in mind is that if you plan to use other boxes to
run optimizations, they will need access to price data.

If you are using free data (e.g. Yahoo, Google) this is not an issue
as you can just install the data on each box.

Similarly, if you plan to use IO, this is a non issue since IO copies
the data from the client to the servers.

However, if you are using a paid subscription for your data, your
license may not allow you to have the data on more than 2 machines.
You might have to make a special request to your vendor, or buy
additional licences.

Alternatively, you might be able to set the AmiBroker database on
each box to point to a single location of the data over a network. I
haven't tried this, so don't know if it works. The drawback is that
the hosting machine would always need to be on when any of the other
boxes needed access, you couldn't update the data while another box
was trying to use it, you increase your odds of messing up the data
by having multiple access points to it (i.e. if you mess up your
database from one machine, you will have messed it up for them all),
etc, etc.

Mike

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike" <sfclimbers@xxx> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Answers provided in line...
>
> > Mike - re your 9 boxes, that is interesting. So you just use your
> primary computer and monitor to control lots of other boxes, and
you
> have total control over all these other boxes just as if you were
> sitting at each one?
>
> Yes, that's exactly right. I open a remote desktop connection to
each
> of the other boxes from my laptop. Each appears as a window on my
> laptop. The only limitation is that the remote box must already be
> running and you will not be able to see any BIOS startup
information
> [...]
that
> sits on the desk in my empty office ;)
>
> > Do you use all the others for running backtests/optimizations?
>
> Yes. I use IO (see files section) to leverage 1 client and up to 3
> supporting servers for distributed walk forward testing. For
whatever
> reason, any more than 3 servers fails in IO - at least in my
> environment. I don't know if it's a problem with IO or with my
> network. If anyone has a solution to this I'd love to hear it
> (sfclimbers [at] yahoo.com).
>
> Since I can't get all servers to work at once in IO, I manually run
> individual backtests/optimizations on the remaining boxes over
> different time periods and hand stich the results togeather, else
run
> optimizations for different strategies on the other boxes.
>
> > So then I imagine you would "check in" from time to time and view
> the progress of your runs on each box?
>
> Right. Though, as indicated above, if the optimizations are of a
> short enough nature, I'll just have tiled windows opened for all
> boxes and work on something else until I see them all start to
> complete.
>
> > Do you make notes about when the opts are due to finish so you
know
> when to check back on each box?
>
> For lengthy optimizations, I just fire off the processes and go to
> bed.
>
> > Sorry for all the questions but this idea sounds intriguing so
was
> just wondering how you manage it all. Thanks!
>
> If you decide to go down this route, and if the other boxes are not
> in the same room as the main one, you may start wondering if you
can
> activate/suspend the machines remotely too. The answer is yes,
using
> WoL (wake on lan), but can be a bit of a headache to get configured.
>
> Hope that answered your questions.
>
> Mike
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Steve Dugas" <sjdugas@> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks a lot for all the info guys - very helpful.
> >
> > TJ, don't worry about your memory, you probably remember more
than
> I have ever known!   8 - )
> >
> > Mike - re your 9 boxes, that is interesting. So you just use your
> primary computer and monitor to control lots of other boxes, and
you
> have total control over all these other boxes just as if you were
> sitting at each one? Do you use all the others for running
> backtests/optimizations?  So then I imagine you would "check in"
from
> time to time and view the progress of your runs on each box?  Do
you
> make notes about when the opts are due to finish so you know when
> check back on each box?  Sorry for all the questions but this idea
> sounds intriguing so was just wondering how you manage it all.

You