Re: [amibroker] Capture Ratio

Hi Ken - I don't have the formula you describe below, but generally speaking I think it is not uncommon for traders to check and see what % of possible gain their systems are actually capturing. FWIW, there are a couple of quick methods I use...

1. The Perfect System, shows what gains are possible if you were right evey day. It just looks forward one day, buys if tomorrow is up and shorts if tomorrow is down...

TommClose = Ref( Close, 1 );
Buy = Cover = TommClose > Close;
Short = Sell = TommClose < Close;
PerfectEq = Equity( 0 );

Then you can define your own system, get it's equity, and calculate the ratio:

PctCaptured = MySystemEq / PerfectEq * 100  // to see how your system compares.

Unfortunately, I usually find this ratio to be so small that it only makes me depressed...   8 - )
...so I used the Zig function to come up with another banchmark that seems more "reachable", based on catching all the trends...

ZigPct = Param( "Zig Percent", 1, 0.5, 10, 0.5 );
ZigZag = Zig( Close, ZigPct );
ZigZagM1 = Ref( ZigZag, -1 );
ZigZagM2 = Ref( ZigZag, -2 );
Buy = Cover = ZigZag > ZigZagM1 AND ZigZagM1 < ZigZagM2;
Short = Sell = ZigZag < ZigZagM1 AND ZigZagM1 > ZigZagM2;
ZigEq = Equity( 0 );

Same procedure for this one, define your own system and then get the ratio. I find using this one makes me want to try harder instead of giving up...   8 - )

Anyway, just thought you might possibly find the idea interesting to play with...

Steve