Re: [amibroker] Re: Best EOD data (free) for Business Indicators ?

Greetings all --

Pardon my cynicism.  But, after you find a data series for, say, the PPI, what will you do with it?

Here is the government source: http://www.bls.gov/ppi/ppi_dr.htm

The preliminary PPI is reported on about the 15th of the month following.  January is reported February 15th.

PPI is often revised.  When we look back at the PPI figures for the year 2004, all we see are the final revisions.  We do not see the first figures that were released first, or the date of the revision.

What date do you assign to the final value of the PPI for, say, August 2005?  September 15 is the earliest it could be.  It could just as easily be November 15.

What level of confidence do we have that the government is reporting fairly or accurately?  What is their bias?  Anecdotal reports tell of food, energy, clothing, and other prices rising at rates well above those reported by the government in the PPI.  Commodity prices are rising at rates well above the PPI.  Which series is correct?

What is the granularity of your decision making?  If your system could give a buy or sell signal on any individual day, or even any individual week, how do you coordinate the signal that you might get from the PPI series with the trading system signals?

In my opinion, the only data series that are useful as components of trading systems are series that result from trades made by willing buyers and sellers and reported immediately through a trusted clearing agency.  If you want something that indicates inflation, commodity prices or commodity indices might be valuable.  At best the PPI is worthless as a component of a trading system; at worst, it is misleading, perhaps intentionally so.

Thanks for listening,
Howard