Re: [amibroker] can u explain how to use C * V (close * volume) mr gordon

Hi mahesh,

As no one else has answered, and the trading day is over, I will respond with a couple things; blunt but not meaning to be rude.

I do not know what you mean by "with volumes calculated based on some percentage of thier price".  Do you mean that the price should be divided by volume and multiplied by 100 to produce a percentage?  Clearly stating what you are trying to do, and what you have tried to do (e.g., your attempts to code) will usually get a better response.  It's not unlike being in a foreign country and attempting to ask for directions in the native language rather than expecting everyone to speak your native tongue.  You may mangle their pronunciation, but I always found folks to be sympathetic.  And if you search this group, you'll find a number of posts and discussion of using volume * price.  One as recent as the first week of March 2008.  This is not a novel concept and does have it's uses.

What Gordon posted is extremely basic.  It is simply the _expression_ for a value of the close multiplied by the volume.  It could be plotted on a chart (use a Plot statement) or used as a value to search on with an exploration or a scan.  While this can be a useful tool for trading decisions, IMHO it is less so for filtering, and you asked to exclude low volume issues  (for example Berkshire Hathaway A trades 710  shares on average, but with a value of ~ $130,000, it's going to pass most V*C filters).

Personally I prefer a filter using the 21 day average Volume being greater than a value (21 days being a trading month and my basic liquidity for trading is at least 125,000 shares average  -- though I usually don't even go this low anymore).  Another metric you might consider is the float, but that's another matter for you to look into.  And if you want to use Gordon's V*C code, substitute it in what I'm giving you (with appropriate adjustments in value) if you are filtering.

To get you started:
    The formula for the 21 day average of volume is MA(V,21).  To code this to filter stocks, add a filter in an exploration as follows:
              Filter = MA(V, 21)  > 125000;
                AddTextColumn( FullName(), "NAME", 15.0, colorYellow, colorPlum, 250);

     If you wanted to see all issues and their volumes (color coded for level, but you could sort the column as well) try this:
            Filter = 1;
            AddColumn( MA(V, 21), "AVG VOL", 8.0, colorWhite, IIf( MA(V, 21) > 125000 , colorDarkGreen, colorDarkRed), 100);

OK, now the lecture: if you are serious about using AB, then you need learn how to do the most simple stuff; lots of folks will help with more difficult stuff, but you can't expect to be spoon fed everything.  AFL is powerful, but the basics aren't rocket science.  You asked for a filter, so I'm assuming you know what you are asking for, just not how to code it in AFL.  This will get you started, but it's up to you to learn.  Read the tutorial, look at the help file for AFL expressions, look at code in the library.  Being new, this is where you should start.

Peace and Justice   ---   Patrick