Re: [amibroker] Copying registry keys across computers

Thanks Joseph, that is really very helpful - given your problems, perhaps TJ could comment on whether he thinks this procedure is safe to do?

Steve
----- Original Message -----
From: J. Biran
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 12:09 PM
Subject: RE: [amibroker] Copying registry keys across computers

1.    Backup the destination registry key you want to import over first, open C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe on destination computer, find the key you are interested in importing later, right click on it and select Export. Give it a location and a name you will know what it is. This will create a YourOriginalKey.reg file.

2.    Save the source registry key, open C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe on source computer, find the key you are interested in backing up, right click on it and select Export. Give it a location and a name you will know what it is. This will create a YourNewKey.reg file.

3.    Copy the YourNewKey.reg file to the destination computer anywhere, and double click on the file. click ok to import the key into the registry.

I have to caution you that this may not be a good idea. A while ago I tried to restore one of those keys into a newly installed computer, and ended up with mislabeled left hand side tabs in AB. Since I did not perform step one, I could not revert to the original. Surprisingly, this could not be fixed even not with uninstall and reinstall of AB!! It stayed like this until I rebuilt windows from scratch next time.

Joseph Biran