[amibroker] Re: Expectancy - and related

Hi Brian,
Because this is rather long, I'll net it all out at the beginning.

van Tharp expectancy as a dollar amount=average profit per all trades.

He gets there by starting out with the concept of what you are risking
per trade.
 Expectancy=e*R,
where R is the the amount at risk, empirically the average loss of
losers. "e" takes a little calculation but its easier to just take the
average profit per trade and divide by the average loss of losers.
e=(net profit/number of trades)/(average loss per losing trade)

you are right that
Mathematical Expectation = ?"[i = 1,N](Pi*Ai)
> where
> P = Probability of winning or losing.
> A = Amount won or lost.
> N = Number of possible outcomes.
In my copy of his book i didn't see that as his explicit definition of
expectancy, nor did i see
expectancy == (probability of a win * ave Win)- (prob loss * ave Loss)
explicitly either.
He uses expectancy as a measure against the amount at risk.

i copied how the formula read, not what Van Tharp actually used in his
calculations. So i got his ideas wrong in my previous note (or being
cheeky, his text and his numbers didn't quite line up, but i should
have noticed that).
So please discard my earlier calculation of expectancy.
My apologies for that.

What he wrote on page 204 was

Expectancy=average profit/per trade
divided by
average loss.

His actual calculation was
average profit = net profit/total number of trades

it is net profit that is the numerator not average profit, and what it
is not, is the average profit of winners. The average loss though is
the loss of losers divided by the number of losers.
So how it really should have looked in his book to be consistent with
his calculations is:
expectancy= average profit over all trades/average loss per losing
trade as a factor to be applied to average loss.

For van Tharp the average loss is the amount at risk, in effect what
you expect to lose on a losing bet. His expectancy tells you how much
in dollars you expect to win as a proportion of that, which as you say
comes out as a dollar amount.

In my copy of his book, 2nd ed  page 198 he writes "expectancy is your
average gain or loss stated in terms of R" where R is empirically
approximated by the average loss, the sum of the losing trade values
divided by the number of losers. BUT his average gain in the
calculation is net profit divided by all trades.

All that appears to reduce to van Tharp saying (In effect)
expectancy = (net profit (or loss)/total trades) times average loss of
losers.

Let's take a simple example and follow van Tharp:
100 trades, 60 losers 40 winners, the total profit of winners is 80
($2 each), and of losers is 30 ($.5 each), net profit=50.
Van Tharp according to the book, has
 average profit/per trade= net profit/total number of trades=
50/100=.5
average loss= 30/60=.5.
expectancy=(average profit/average loss)* average loss
expectancy= (.5/.5) *R
r=.5.
But mathematical expectation is 50. The difference is the need to
divide by the number of trades to get expectancy.

here are the numbers from the book

net profit=10843
number of trades=103
average profit (of all trades)=105.27
average loss (of losers)=721.73=R
expectancy =.15 R
my calculation

e=105.27/721.73
e*R=105.27= net profit per trade.

Or to put it simply:
Net profit per trade is expectancy.

That's a whole chapter for him to tell you that you need to make a net
profit on average per trade, and you should be comfortable with the
amount at risk per trade.