[amibroker] Re: Another tough question...

I think you would agree that the points of difference are often more
important than the points of agreement (that is where we learn the
most).

I am taking notice of our points of difference and thinking about
them.

> I'll not advise anyone to use artificial data for anything -- I
>continue to
> assert that artificial data has no value whatsoever for training a
>trading
> system.

What I have used if for is to train me (mathematically), rather than
a system e.g. knowing what the mean is in advance allowed me to
compare predicted metrics (using stats equations) to observed metrics
(as produced by the RandomGenerator).

I only used it to study break-even systems (black swans), and the
variance they were capable of producing.

Since a RG will produce a pretty fair 'random walk (an assumption on
my part!) I thought that was fair enough.

Keep in mind that as a naive mathematician and self-confessed
intuitive I have to find ways to take my maths medicine that works
for me.

I definitely would not use it to train trading systems - my trading
philosophy is based on the view that participants behaviour skews the
market, which provides us with our opportunities and you can't
replicate that in synthetic data.

Anyway, I think enough of my RG excel sheets to post an example in
the future so hopefully you will be available to make some specific
criticisms then - I would welcome that.

Thanks for your answers.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Howard B" <howardbandy@xxx> wrote:

> Hi Brian --
>
> I'll not advise anyone to use artificial data for anything -- I
continue to
> assert that artificial data has no value whatsoever for training a
trading
> system.  If I had the ability to design an artificial data series
that
> represented the real data so closely that it had value as training
data, I
> would have no need for it.  I would simply code those rules into my
trading
> system.
>
> Thanks,
> Howard
>

> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Howard B <howardbandy@xxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi Mike --
> >
> > I suggest that the in-sample period be selected, then fixed for
the
> > duration of the use of the trading system.  It is the length of
time between
> > re-optimizations that can be any length you wish.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Howard
> >

> > On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Mike <sfclimbers@xxx> wrote:
> >
> > >   Howard,
> > >
> > > I agree that reoptimization is valid, necessary even, at any
time
> > > after going live. Specifically; Any time measured performance
values
> > > stray significantly from what was expected.
> > >
> > > I did not mean to imply, nor do I think that Pardo was
suggesting,
> > > that the system had to be traded for the duration of the
calculated
> > > out of sample (OOS) period before reoptimization could occur.
> > >
> > > I also subscribe to your advice, of iterating over data
periods, to
> > > find the most suitable combination of in sample (IS) and OOS.
> > >
> > > I take Pardo's 1/8 to 1/3 ratio rule of thumb at face value
(i.e. a
> > > suggested range in which to perform the above iterations).
Faced with
> > > so many possible combinations, we have to start somewhere.
However,
> > > if my tests are showing noticably improving results closer to a
1/3
> > > ratio than a 1/8 ratio, I would not hesitate to additionally
try 1/2,
> > > 3/4, etc.
> > >
> > > You do raise a new question though;
> > >
> > > Are you suggesting that you would be open to changing the
duration of
> > > your IS lookback window at subsequent reoptimizations? If so,
> > > wouldn't that be changing the underlying nature of the strategy?
> > >
> > > In other words, if the targeted signal is no longer sufficiently
> > > prevalent using the original IS lookback span, might that not
be a
> > > red flag that the system as a whole is failing, as opposed to
simply
> > > no longer being in sync with the market?
> > >
> > > Or, do you consider the IS lookback period to be optimizable at
each
> > > reoptimization in the same vein as any other parameter (e.g.
> > > comparable to extending the lookback of a moving average
parameter)?

> > > Thanks,
> > >

> > > Mike
> > >
> > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <amibroker%