Re: [amibroker] Another tough question...

Hi Howard,

Thank you for your reply.  I must say that your book - very interesting, BTW - is another reason why I am skeptical with the trend following strategy based on a single "good-ever" code.

1) But the problem I have with limited data is how they react to today's market.  As an example, I built a system which returns avg. 100% for the last 4 years.  But considering that 3 and a half years were a strong bull market, how can I be sure this apply to today's condition?  On the other side, if I take only data from November 2007 to April 2008, this is not enough to be sure profits are not a consequence of the "luck" factor.

This is why I would have enjoyed having data from the other bear market, from 2000 to 2003.  And this is why I am not sure if building a system over the past 6months to 12 months would be a good idea.

2) Another problem I have is that part of the system is based on a major index.  Even if I did a lot of optimization (over 1000) and obtained good results, my fear is that the whole thing is biased because it could be a data-mining bias as the particular index in concerned.  In other words: if I take only 6 months of data and my system issues only 3 buying signals based in a big part on only one major index, then I think statistically this is NOT significant.  This is why I tried to look for much longer time-frame (back to 2000, with the end of the techno bubble), but then I am back to the initial problem: did the market change?

To me, this is a serious problem.  I could feel happy because my system seems good but I am not.  I don't think we are in a market right now that could even be remotely related to what happened in 2006 and 2007.

Thanks!

Louis