[amibroker] Re: Something is different. But what ?

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "wavemechanic" <timesarrow@xxx>
wrote:

> Mike:
>
> ...Of course Buy (and Sell) is an array (who said it wasn't)

I thought that you did ;)

"...ask yourself if you did or did not generate Buy with a function
that returns an array?  If you conclude that Buy is an array then..."

It sounded as though you were suggesting that assigning a scaler to
Buy could make it any less of an array, or that it was at all
possible to conclude that Buy was not an array.

> ...Hence, as I said before to understand what is going on in answer
> to Ton's "Why not" it is necessary to read up on arrays and to do
> what Ton wants with IIF() additional code is needed to generate an
> array that is 1000 between Buy and the bar before Sell and 0
> elsewhere.

I must admit, I was surprised by his reporting. My initial
expectation would have been that his IFF would have worked as written.

Assuming that array values are calculated left to right, there's no
reason that his assignment could not have worked, as the array gets
filled to the right with values being dependant on values just
calculated on the left.

However, I suspect that self referencing assignments such as this are
implemented on the fly in temporary arrays to avoid overwriting the
original left values that might still be required to populate the new
right values. Or perhaps the values are calculated en masse going top
to bottom rather than left to right?

Either way, it was not what I initially expected. But in retrospect,
makes sense (assuming of course that this is what is happening!)

> I think we are on the same wavelength but would agree that things
> can get muddled in these types of messages where stuff is quickly
> knocked out (at least in my case).  I suppose all messages in this
> type of forum should have the standard congressional caveat about
> reserving the right to revise and extend remarks - including this
> message.  ;-)

Agreed. I was particularly amused by my code sample earlier on this
thread where I redundantly removed redundant signals :)

Mike

> Bill

Flip
> > (Buy,Sell) and ShortPos=Flip(Short,Cover) ). So that's not my
> > problem. My problem is that I still do not see the difference
between
> > the two statements I have given and would like to know why there
is a
> > difference. Bill in the first statement your should get same
result
> > as with the For Loop. So LongPos will become '1000' as soon as we
> > have a Buy and will switch to '0' again with a 'Sell'. Assume T-1
had
> > a Buy then LongPos(T-1) = 1000. Therefore LongPos(T) will be set
> > to '1000' also. But you're right. This is not what is happening.
And
> > I still do not understand why not ...
> >>
> >>       Regards, Ton.

coloryellow,
> >>         > colorpalegreen)), stylebar);
> >>         > > title = "inlongpos = " + inlongpos + " ref
> > (inlongpos..." + ref
> >>         > (inlongpos...) + " buy = " + buy + " sell =" + sell
> >>         > >
> >>         > > If you want the iif() approach to hold either a buy
or
> > sell value
> >>         > for each bar additional code is needed to create this
> > condition.
> >>         > >
> >>         > > Bill
> >>         > >