-->To Mike --> Re: [amibroker] Re: Aronson Detrending Market {Was Detrending... log}

Louis,

Forget the book for a minute. Just try to understand the objective.
Until you understand what is trying to be accomplished, you will not
get anywhere.

Given two sets of daily changes, can you say with confidence that the
daily changes did not come from the same strategy?

If the average daily change from the first set of numbers is zero,
and the average daily change from the second set of numbers is NOT
zero. Then, is the strategy that generated the second set of daily
changes really better than the first? Or, was it just a lucky sample
from a strategy whose true daily change really is equal to the first
(i.e. really is zero after all).

The hypothesis is that the two sets of daily changes came from
equivalent strategies (i.e. both zero predictive ability).

The test is to calculate the probability of drawing a sample (whose
average was the non zero average found in the second set of daily
changes), assuming that the true average for the second strategy is
the same as the true average for the first strategy (i.e both true
averages equal to zero).

If the probability is less than your cutoff (e.g. 5%), then reject
the hypothesis and conclude that the strategy that returned the non
zero average daily change must be better than the one that generated
the zero average daily change (i.e. the strategy generating non zero
daily change has predictive ability).

You may find the following link helpful:
http://www.socialresearchmethods.net/kb/stat_t.php

The first script generates the first set of daily changes (log
percent change) for the period being studied. These changes were not
generated by any strategy. They are just a detrended representation
of what the market actually did.

The second script generates the second set of daily changes based on
the buy sell signal of your strategy as applied against the actual
detrended market changes. They are the results of what your strategy
would capture from the detrended market.

Running the second script will not give you a performance number per
se. It will merely allow you to calculate the second detrended
average daily return (i.e. log percent change, presumably non zero)
that must be compared to that of the first script (zero).

If you want to see the actual performance of your strategy (e.g.
compounded average return), you still need to look at the AmiBroker
backtest results.

Also, if you go back and re-read my earlier comments. After running
the first script, the High holds the total of all daily changes for
the period, the Lo holds the number of bars in the period. Dividing
the first by the second gives you the average daily change for the
period, which is then subtracted from the *individual* daily changes,
giving the *detrended* daily changes in the _Close_ such that if you
were to take the average of the Close you would get zero. The only
values you are interested in are the Close values. The rest are just
intermediary values used to calculate the Close.

The second script applies the strategy signal against the Close of
the first script to generate the second set of daily changes (again,
in the Close), the average of which you want to compare to the
results of the first.

I haven't run against the full 25 year period to compare against the
book for any given strategy. Depending on data providers, you may get
very different numbers. Particularly if Aronson used the actual
contents of the SP-500 for each year, as opposed to only the
survivors that currently appear in today's index.

Mike

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Louis Préfontaine"
<rockprog80@xxx> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I took a break from the detrending procedure because I thought I
had a lot
> to learn before been able to apply it.  Now I think I am ready for
some more
> testing.  I know you took a lot of time to explain how you were
able to do
> build the detrending process, and so I will try not to make
yourself repeat
> yourself.
>
> I did exactly what Aronson did to try the method.  I used the
S&P500 from
> [...]
> 91 days channel breakout:
>
> Buy=C>Ref (HHV (C,91),-1);
> Sell= C< Ref (LLV (C,91),-1);
> Short=Sell;
> Cover=Buy;
>
> I used Yahoo data and used your detrend script:
>
> procedure Detrend(compositeName) {
> local range; range = Status("barinrange");
> local raw; raw = log(Ref(Open, 2)/Ref(Open, 1));
> local total; total = 0;
> local count; count = 0;
> local offset; offset = 0;
>
> for (i = 0; i < BarCount; i++) {
> if (range[i]) {
> if (NOT IsNull(raw[i])) {
> count++;
> total += raw[i];
> }
> }
> }
>
> if (count > 0) {
> AddToComposite(IIF(range, raw, Null), "~" + compositeName, "O",
> atcFlagDefaults | atcFlagEnableInBackTest);
>
> offset = total/count;
> raw = IIF(IsNull(raw), offset, raw);
>
> AddToComposite(IIF(range, raw - offset, Null), "~" +
> compositeName, "C", atcFlagDefaults | atcFlagEnableInBackTest);
> AddToComposite(IIF(range, total, Null), "~" + compositeName, "H",
> atcFlagDefaults | atcFlagEnableInBackTest);
> AddToComposite(IIF(range, offset, Null), "~" +
> compositeName, "L", atcFlagDefaults | atcFlagEnableInBackTest);
> AddToComposite(IIF(range, count, Null), "~" + compositeName, "I",
> atcFlagDefaults | atcFlagEnableInBackTest);
> } else {
> AddToComposite(Null, "~" + compositeName, "X", atcFlagDefaults |
> atcFlagEnableInBackTest);
> }
> }
>
> Buy = Sell = Short = Cover = 0;
> Detrend(Name());
>
> The values I got (in the new file created by your script) are the
following:

> Hi: 2.21199
> Lo: 0.000355397
>
> And that's why I am stuck.
>
> I tried to apply the 91-days channel breakout to the new file, but
after
> reflexion it makes no sense because the Hi value in that file is a
constant
> while in "real life" it isn't.  So I am kind of stucked there, still
> wondering how to apply the rule to the "detrended" data.
>
> If you could help me with that, I would appreciate a lot!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Louis
>
> p.s. For anyone actually trying to do this yourself without having
read
> Aronson, Aronson says the result is +-4% annualized on detrended
data.

> 2008/3/3, Mike <sfclimbers@xxx>:
> >
> >   Louis,
> >
> > The first script (Detrend.afl) will detrend the market. Nothing
more
> > to do. If you want to chart the results, open the symbol in a
chart
> > and plot the Close using line format (i.e. not bar or
candlesticks).
> > You will see what appears like an oscillator centered on zero,
since
> > all the values average out. Similarly, if you plotted a
histogram, of
> > the Close values, you would get a normal distribution centered at
> > zero.
> >
> > You must code your own strategy into the second script, replacing
the
> > example buy/sell/short/cover with your own logic.
> >
> > If you are not using a separate symbol to base your signals on,
you
> > can remove the SetForeign/RestorePrice arrays. The parts that are
> > most important are the setting of trade delays (since the
detrended
> > market data was produced with that assumption) and the generating
of
> > a new composite.
> >
> > SetTradeDelays(1, 1, 1, 1);

> > isLong = Flip(Buy, Sell);
> > isShort = Flip(Short, Cover);
> > market = Foreign("~" + Name(), "C", false);
> >
> > AddToComposite(IIF(isLong, 1 * market, 0), "~" + Name()
> > + "Return", "C", atcFlagDefaults | atcFlagEnableInBackTest);
> > AddToComposite(IIF(isShort, -1 * market, 0), "~" + Name()
> > + "Return", "C", atcFlagDefaults | atcFlagEnableInBackTest);
> >
> > Once your buy/sell/cover/short logic is in place, there is nothing
> > more to do, the resulting composite (e.g. ~SP-500Return) will
already
> > have every thing you need. If you were to plot a histogram of the
> > Close values, you want to see a normal distribution centered on a
> > value greater than zero, indicating better than chance results.
> >
> > Since the second script is *your* trading logic, yes, when
running it
> > the buy/sell signals and all AmiBroker performance data are
relevant.
> > If the system does not perform well based on your personal
criteria,
> > then you really don't care whether or not it is statistically
> > significant, because you wouldn't want to trade it anyway!
> >
> > The only thing that you need to do with the two composites is to
> > compare the results.
> >
> > Take the mean of the detrended market (e.g. use excel to add all
> > Close values found in ~SP-500 and divide by the number of values)
and
> > compare it to the mean of your strategy results (again, add all
Close
> > values of ~SP-500Results and divide by the number of values).
> >
> > If a t-test shows them to be statistically significant, you
*might*
> > be on to something. According to Aronson (by my interpretation)
you
> > would then have to correct for data mining bias.
> >
> > Note that this is just one approach. Others prefer the much
simpler
> > walk forward analysis and visually evaluating the equity curve.
Walk
> > forward and equity curve evaluation will rule out most of your
ideas
> > long before you ever need to start doing the statistical
validation.

> > Delaying the statistics until after you've got a nice walk forward
> > equity curve will get you on your way much quicker. Though, if
> > possible it would still be preferable to do the statistics at that
> > time.
> >
> > Walk forward is built in to the most recent release of AmiBroker,
and
> > also available in the free edition of Intelligent Optimizer (see
IO
> > under Files section of this forum). My understanding is that
> > AmiBroker and IO treat the handling of trades accross boundries
> > differently, so don't be surprised if you get slightly different
> > results between them.
> >
> > Again, I'm no statistician, I wrote the code quickly in the late
> > hours of the night, and I may not have understood correctly the
> > process described in the book. So, use all of this as a starting
> > point, but don't accept any of it as Gospel.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <amibroker%
40yahoogroups.com>, "Louis
> > Préfontaine"
> > <rockprog80@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi again Mike,
> > >
> > > Ok I tried the formula without the "setbacktestmode" and it
seems
> > to work.
> > > I did use the first formula to get the log results of spx.xo
(S&P
> > 500) from
> > > January 9 2007 to December 31, 2007. Then I added all the
results
> > and
> > > divided by the number of days. -->But what do I do with this
> > number then?
> > > (I know it's the number I want to substract from each day
result,
> > but od I
> > > have to do it manually?)
> > >
> > > Then I applied the second formula to the same spx.xo for the
same
> > days.
> > > When clicking on "backtesting" buying/selling orders were
issued.
> > Are those
> > > relevant, or do I simply need to look at what's in the new
> > ~spx.xoReturn?
> > > (I changed DTX--X for spx.xo everywhere in the formula). And
when
> > I open
> > > this ~spx.xoReturn I get the detrended results but how to use
them
> > with the
> > > actual stock? I mean: I get all those 0. 000x numbers; how can I
> > actually
> > > use my trading system to test my positive/negative bias with
this?

> > > Thank you a lot for your help. Your formulas really rock.
Thanks!

> > > Louis

> > working on

> > the