[amibroker] Re: Using Jim's tickers... with some cutomization

A possible shortcut?

a) Create a spare US-Stocks database.
b) Rename all .OB stocks to remove the .OB
c) 'Copy' the structure from US-Stocks (spare) to your local DTN
database.

I am not sure if you can 'target' .OB stocks and rename them.

>From a message by Tomasz:

The only way to actually RENAME symbols is to use OLE automation:

AB = CreateObject("Broker.Application");
stk = AB.Stocks( Name() );

stk.Ticker = "~" + Name();

If you can manage to rename the symbols then you can try to replicate
the structure by the methods discussed in this topic:

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@xxx> wrote:

> I still have more to learn about AB than what I already now so I
can
> never be 100% certain but I think some one would have told us by
now
> if there was a quicker way.
>
> I have only posted GUI methods at the UKB because 'we' need to
> understand the principles before we can use more advanced (semi-
auto
> methods) like file handling functions/script/COM/ODBC methods etc.
> If you already have skills in those areas it might not take long to
> do but if you have to learn it first it will take longer because
you
> have to get up to speed for a one off procedure.
>
> Either way, AFAIK, you have to have text file lists for every sub-
> category of every category.
>
> In time I am happy to learn advanced methods but in the interim I
> find setting up a database does not take long once you have the
> subcategory component lists carefully labelled.
>
> From memory you just need to slip the lists into the Watchlists
> folder and run the code (category by category - there are only
three
> major categories - admittedly there are a lot of industry groups
> lists to prepare).
>
> If you haven't got the Industry lists prepared you could use
> Information/Categories functions and File I/O Functions to write
> them, from the US-Stocks database to a text file.
>
> The next step for the DM section of the UKB is to write procedures
> help people learn how to do that type of thing - that is a little
bit
> down the track though.
>
> brian_z
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Louis Préfontaine"
> <rockprog80@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > Thanks a lot for the kind words!  I sure am coming froma long
way,
> and
> > thanks to you and to others who helped me I am getting better
> everyday using
> > Amibroker!
> >
> > There are two files on Jim website:
> >
> > 1) The database in .zip with all the tickers in the correct
> categories;
> > 2) The database in .xls with all the tickers listed with
> categories, name,
> > eps, etc.
> >
> > I already know how to set the first database correctly with
Yahoo,
> but I
> > need to delete the .OB after the tickers to use the database
wuith
> my
> > real-time provider.  So this is why I used the second database
with
> Excel
> > and deleted the .OB.  But then, that's where I don't know how to
> put that
> > information back in place to be sure the tickers will be in the
> correct
> > industries/markets, etc.
> >
> > I read in the manual that categoryAddSymbol can add symbols to
> whatever
> > category I choose, but the problem is still the same: to have a
> scan of all
> > the tickers going in the category restaurant (as an example) I
> would have to
> > manually put them in "restaurants", and considering Jim's DB has
> tons of
> > different categories this would take me forever!
> >
> > Is there a faster way to get there?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Louis
> >

> > 2008/3/21, brian_z111 <brian_z111@>:
> > >
> > >   If it is in Jim's DB then you can get it out, in any
category,
> and
> > > get it back,in any category (via Watchlists).
> > >
> > > categoryAddSymbol uses one of the following:
> > >
> > > categoryMarket
> > > categoryGroup
> > > categorySector
> > > categoryIndustry
> > > categoryWatchlist
> > > categoryFavorite
> > > categoryIndex
> > >
> > > You have come a long way in a short time so you maybe miss a few
> > > points.
> > >
> > > Doing it yourself is a tedious business at times but you really
> learn
> > > your craft that way.
> > >
> > > I can't do more now.
> > > I'm getting tired and don't do good work in that state.
> > >
> > > I am impressed with your progress.
> > >
> > > brian_z
> > >
> > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <amibroker%
> 40yahoogroups.com>, "Louis