[amibroker] Re: quote download?

> want to build an hourly system, but my provider only gives 3 months
>of
> intraday data == not many 1 min bars,

Are you sure?

Some RT providers work on a 'memory' surrogate i.e. you get more 15
minute bars backfill than you do 1 minute bars.

Have a look around at other providers to see the difference.

It is normal that we have to make a lot of admin changes  -  moves to
new brokers, data providers - it's a PITA but we can't tell in
advance if some feature, at one, is going to block our progess (only
experience shows these small things) - locking into 12 month data
contracts straight up is not good - I would rather trial or pay by
the month, for a while, until I shake the provider out.

> idea?  Or do you think my system should be flexible enough to go
>from EOD to
> hourly to 15-minutes to 5-minutes without any major problem?

Don't put chains on yourself - any system that works is a good one
(relative to % return and hours it takes you to manage it).

Herman has written a lot on RT trading - I have commented some on EOD
trading - there is a line between - there are subtle differences in
all timeframes - more pronounced in intraday - continuity of data
runs out at small timeframes (depending on the liquidity of the
instrument) - as long as continuity is present then the environment
is familiar - a system that goes from 15 min bars to monthly is a
good sign of robustness. I have them like that.

Now I am moving more into Hermans/Dennis's world - for the education -
 to expand my boundaries.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Louis Préfontaine"
<rockprog80@xxx> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> I sure wouldn't rely on free data for actual trading, but for
building my
> system it looks nice!
>
> The real deal for me is to be able to find enough intraday data
because I
> want to build an hourly system, but my provider only gives 3 months
of
> intraday data, which is not a lot of bar with hourly data.  Do you
have any
> idea?  Or do you think my system should be flexible enough to go
from EOD to
> hourly to 15-minutes to 5-minutes without any major problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Louis
>
> 2008/3/20, brian_z111 <brian_z111@xxx>:
> >
> >   > p.s. So far Yahoo data seems not that bad for EOD...
> >
> > Yes, I advocate it for learning (trading/AB) and system work
> > (conceptual testing/backtesting).
> >
> > For live trading it is personal choice and on a case by case
basis.

> > The only 'real' test is paper trading with brokers data anyway
(refer
> > to Hermans work on RealY=Time data at the UKB).
> >
> > brian_z
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <amibroker%
40yahoogroups.com>, "Louis
> > Préfontaine"
> > <rockprog80@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > It works well now! I simply re-downloaded Amiquote and it works!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Louis
> > >
> > > p.s. So far Yahoo data seems not that bad for EOD...

> > structure.

AB.

> > the
> > folder.