[amibroker] Re: Pattern Searching within AB

> Being skeptical about something is fine but requires a shot at an
>objective basis to get it out of the "I had a dream" state.  One
>normally grounds such conclusions on mucho experience or statistics.

True.

Thanks for the clarification.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "wavemechanic" <timesarrow@xxx>
wrote:

> EW = Elliott Wave
> So9 = Square of Nine
>
> As for cutoff points, by definition there must be a cutoff because
one tick does not a pattern make.  But in practical terms it is below
the smallest timeframe that most deal with (e.g., 5 minute).  Not
worth worrying about, imo, as there are many more important factors
at play.

> Being skeptical about something is fine but requires a shot at an
objective basis to get it out of the "I had a dream" state.  One
normally grounds such conclusions on mucho experience or statistics.

> Bill

Depending
> > on the time frame, indicator-based system parameters often tend
to be
> > time frame specific.  On the other hand, systems based on price
> > patterns and levels (e.g., Fibonacci patterns, triangles, EW,
So9,
> > etc.) are fractal and work very well for all time frames.
> >>
> >> Bill

EOD
> > bars have distinct patterns that can be traded but do not exist
in
> > intraday bars, i.e., Real-time systems do not necessarily work in
the
> > daily time frame, or vise versa.
> >>

> >>   2) Intraday bars gain random content quickly when you reduce
the
> > period to less than about 3 minutes. At which period this happens
> > depends also on volume.
> >>

> >>   3) In very short time frames, say less than 1-2 minutes, data
and
> > Internet delays start to play a major role. In this range it is
> > possible to develop HG systems with local data that fail in real-
> > trading. See my post on this on the UKB. Delays also vary with
the
> > number of stocks you trade (your system's resources) and market
> > volume (at open and close).
> >>

> >>   4) While I have never worked with longer than daily bars i
know
> > that daily bars have features that do not, and cannot, exist in
> > weekly and longer time frames. Similarly, weekly and longer
periods
> > may have their own unique features.
> >>

> >>   5) imo, the OHLC bar structure is obsolete. Imagine the design
> > advantage if you knew the HL precedence. Of course, in the
majority
> > of cases, you can be sneaky and calculate HL precedence by
assuming
> > that the price follows path of least resistance from the Open to
the
> > Close... or subscribe to real-time data.
> >>

> >>   best regards,
> >>
> >>   herman
> >>

> >>   For tips on developing Real-Time Auto-Trading systems visit:
> >>
> >>   http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/
> >>

> >>   Saturday, March 1, 2008, 11:47:43 PM, you wrote:
> >>

> >>   > Rounding off my contribution on this topic.
> >>

> >>   > Most of my work, so far, has been based around EOD data
> > (exclusively in
> >>
> >>   > stocks).
> >>

> >>   > I consider that daily bars are the natural rhythm of the
market.

> >>   > I also regard them as nothing more, nor less, than
barometers
> > of market
> >>
> >>   > sentiment.
> >>

> >>   > For macro trading, if we look at the markets in
weekly/monthly
> [...]
> >>
> >>   > frames we are seeing exactly the same information that we
see
> > in daily
> >>
> >>   > timeframes,except that is an approximate summary.
> >>

> >>   > Traders who want to see the macro picture with greater
accuracy
> > can do
> >>
> >>   > this by marking the major pivot points (write code for the
> > daily
> >>
> >>   > timeframe to do that).
> >>

> >>   > (Sorry I can't provide code at the moment).
> >>

> >>   > If this is done it is successful, although I concede it is
> > harder to
> >>
> >>   > follow the visual cues because of the limited number of bars
> > that can
> >>
> >>   > be viewed in one screen (technically it is successful but I
> > have no
> >>
> >>   > comment, for or against, it's usefulness for trading).
> >>

> >>   > IMO intraday bars, at around the 5 minute mark, are an
> > extension of the
> >>
> >>   > daily timeframe and they can be successfully used to finesse
> > entries
> >>
> >>   > and exists for EOD strategies.
> >>

> >>   > As an aside.
> >>

> >>   > Re: single bar patterns.
> >>

> >>   > Once again, IMO, they are a summary (shorthand notation) of
the

> >>   > underlying bar patterns.
> >>
> >>   > I have made an effort to train my mind to know what info the
> > single bar
> >>
> >>   > patterns are relaying to us, about the 'mood' of the market,
in
> > that
> >>
> >>   > timeframe (similar to the way in which musicians read music).
> >>

> >>   > I don't know exactly how successful I have been, or how much
> > that
> >>
> >>   > impacts on my trading, but it is quite good fun and it does
> > have it's
> >>
> >>   > uses.
> >>

> >>   > (It is consistent with my intention to strengthen my mental
> >>
> >>   > capabilities, for trading, by not over relying on computer
> > memory).
> >>

> >>   > From my point of view, very little of what else is available
> >>
> >>   > in 'classical' TA is of any value.
> >>

> >>   > I consider that the topic (patten recognition) is finite and
> > that at a
> >>
> >>   > personal level I have conceptually exhausted the subject
(after
> > many
> >>
> >>   > hours of contemplation). That doesn't mean I have exhausted
all
> > effort
> >>
> >>   > in that area - there are still new patterns (to me) to be
found
> > and
> >>
> >>   > more detail to obtain about those I have considered.
> >>

> >>   > I also consider that macro trading doesn't end there.
> >>

> >>   > There is the other side of the coin.
> >>

> >>   > If we are relying entirely on patterns, for macro trading,
then
> > we are
> >>
> >>   > only flying around on one wing (I will comment on
supplementary
> > methods
> >>
> >>   > somewhere down the track).
> >>

> >>   > Intra-day trading, however, is another cup of tea.
> >>

> >>   > The intraday 'patterns' are influenced markedly by the
> > mechanics of the
> >>
> >>   > market (exchange hours, overnight cessation of trading,
morning
> > versus
> >>
> >>   > afternoon session, opening versus close, carryover action
from
> > the
> >>
> >>   > previous day etc) so it has some peculiarities of it's own.
> >>

> >>   > Further to that, at the sub-micro level (tick trading),
> > continuity
> >>
> >>   > breaks down into discrete packages (perhaps there are new
> > things to
> >>
> >>   > find out about that).
> >>

> >>   > I look forward to Hermans efforts to push that boundary.
> >>

> >>   > Like Herman I believe that the more we learn about what is
> > ahead of us
> >>
> >>   > the more we understand what is behind us.
> >>

> >>   > brian_z

> >>   > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@>
> > wrote:
> >>

> >>   >> Should be fun.
> >>

> >>   >> Not posting against you.
> >>

> >>   >> Just a philosophical observation.
> >>

> >>   >> In nature, when we zoom in, we move from the discrete to
the

> >>   >> continuous. Order disintegrates at the boundary
(objectively

Date:
> > 2/29/2008 8:18 AM

> > SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com