[amibroker] Re: AP's RT data feed - for MarkK

> Another way to define ProfitFactor is:
>
> Number Wins/Number Losses * average % Win/average % Loss

FTR -

A lot of my work is original so it is not out of the question that I
use terms in ways that others don't.

I'm not sure about the above definition.
I can't find any reference to it in the 20 - 30 books I have here so
possibly I made it up (in which case I would call it something else
like PowerFactor).

Anyway I intended it as the companion metric for a basic simulation
that I have done in the past in Excel (it uses binomial probability
and a distribution of the trade sample to plot equity curves).

I haven't worked out if it is possible and/or how to calculate
expectancy from PowerFactor - it was always my intention to rely on
simulation for the metrics.

brian the dross maker

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@xxx> wrote:

> [...]
> put a cryptic explanation here.
>
> (In my first post I also meant to add that variance in the equity
> curve is derived from binomial probability of the W/L and variance
in
> the distribution of the trades, where the trades are measured in %
> +_ )
>
> I understand that is probably a bit more info than you wanted but I
> have talked about it a little in the past here and there and I
> promised a couple of guys I would explain some more one day - today
> was the day.
>

> brian_z
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ChrisB <kris45mar@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Brian
> >
> > Thanks for this extra comment.
> >
> > Your immediate prior post had me confused because by PF I assumed
> you
> > meant Profit Factor and
> > the nearest I can understand this, is that
> >
> > Profit Factor = Gross Profit / Gross Loss
> > or as in the AB reports:
> > Profit Factor = Total Profit / Total Loss.
> >
> > I didn't understand how this related to a time series or per
annum
> gain.
> >
> > However reading between the lines of this last post, I think you
> may be
> > referring to van Tharp's (was it he who coined this phrase? )
> > Profitunity factor?
> >
> > Where ....
> >
> > Profitunity  = Expectancy per trade * number of trades per time
> period.
> >
> > In which case it makes a little more sense to me.
> >
> > If not, I am happy to stand corrected.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > ChrisB

> > > translated
> > >
> > > FTR - to explain further what I meant about PF (my take on it).
> > >
> > > PF is the trades profile (a kind of quality measure) comprising
> two
> > > components (W/L ratio and ave%W/ave%L ratio).
> > > The W/L ratio tells us something about the buy signal whereas
the
> %
> > > W/L ratio tells us something about the exits (profit and loss
> stops)
> > > although they are interdependent.
> > >
> > > The W/L ratio is binomial and indicates the tendency towards
runs
> > > (losing/winning streaks) and the %W/%L quantifies that e.g. as
an
> > > equity curve.
> > >
> > > PF is the theoretical edge (as ratio).
> > >
> > > Looking at the two components of PF can tell us more about the
> trade
> > > than looking at PF alone.
> > >
> > > Expectancy standardises the edge (PF) to a per trade basis and
> > > quantifies it (as %).
> > >
> > > Expectancy * trade frequency (trades per periods e.g. year)
> > > quantifies the edge as return per period e.g. year.
> > >
> > > brian_z
> > >
> > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxx ps.com
> > > <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com>, "brian_z111"

On
> > > other
> just
> > > by