RE: [amibroker] Re: New EOD data feed other than Quotes Plus

One problem for yahoo data for Australian stocks is that price is only quoted down to 2 decimal place only. In real life, 3 decimal place is quoted at the exchange.

From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of brian_z111
Sent: Friday, 15 February 2008 11:38 PM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [amibroker] Re: New EOD data feed other than Quotes Plus

Ara,

For the sake of sharing information - to save people wasted time:

> I know many are willing to to do a lot of work in order to use free
>data from Yahoo or add fundamenttal info from Yahoo.

It's no work at all.
Yahoo and Yahoo current fundamentals are integrated with AmiQuote > AB

>>I have not tried it, but my impression has been that what you get
>>is what you pay for.

Yahoo data is not free - it is paid for by Yahoo (bought from
reputable companies) from revenue from ads - it is distributed for
free to attract users to the site who then buy things via the ads (I
sometimes do).

>I would rather pay a reasonable fee and get a reliable product.

How do we know that our data products are quality? - because the
provider told us so?

How can we check data and how many do?
It is not so easy to check data.

As I suggested to Barry the other day - we can go to Yahoo, download
raw, or fully adjusted, get dividend info, get split info and do our
own checks on Yahoo in the same way we can do that for any other
provider. I have done one or two here and there and I haven't found
anything alarming to me. If I did I would then work around that.

What we can't get from Yahoo is event adjusted data without dividend
adjustment - people who want that have to get it elsewhere.

Also, sadly, for longer term traders, more error is introduced into
backtesting by using data without div adjustment than errors within
Yahoo's data (I only say that to help people).

IMO - first we should know what our trading style is, second we
should have a strategy in mind and then third we should buy data that
will give us the best chance to analyze past performance of that
strategy (in my case that means a few different types of data).

As you know I could give a couple of pages more in support of traders
taking a more flexible and proactive attitude to their data but I
would be better to do that at the UKB.

One example:

I recently developed a very promising new system on holiday - just
before walking out the door to catch the plane I copied a complete AB
directory from an XP machine and dumped it on a Vista laptop
(naughty, naughty) - I dumped all the old databases to get the size
down and only took a copy of Jim's US Yahoo database (I wanted div
adjusted data for EOD backtesting).

I managed to get some good work done.

When I got back I then carried on towards testing in intraday data
from another provider and so far it is performing exactly as tested
on Yahoo (only better) - I am using intraday to finesse the entries
and exits that I couldn't finesse in EOD data. The trades average 2-3
days round trip.

Also when it is ready to trade I will be totally familiar with it
after thousands of tests etc and I will see straight away if
something is odd when I start going to the brokers (who also has a
different source for data).

Also consider that the so-called differences in data is a bit of a
myth. In Australia there is only one exchange - they have a monopoly
on the data. They do some filtering of the tick data themselves
before releasing it to their providers so how different can it be.

The only differences in data in Australia that can occur are from a)
extra filtering or b) event adjustments.

At the prices I don't think too many here are doing to mucn of a) and
b) is checkable.

Also, as we have seen in a recent article, bad tick data isn't the
end of the world at the EOD level.

In fact EOD traders can tolerate quite a bit of error and still win
the day.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxps.com, "Ara Kaloustian" <ara1@xxx> wrote:

> Dan, I am not sure how other handle it.
>
> I know many are willing to to do a lot of work in order to use free
data from Yahoo or add fundamenttal info from Yahoo. I have not
tried it, but my impression has been that what you get is what you
pay for. I would rather pay a reasonable fee and get a reliable
product.

> About TC 2000, I beleive it is slower than QP and remapping can be
a bunch of work and I don't care for their industry mapping either.

> QP has been fine for me with very few exceptions.
>
> We all meet some unacceptable service personnel from time to
time ... I take it as part of dealing with people. It's usually OK,
but sometime it is not.

> Sorry can't really be of much help.

TC2000. I can remap the data if necessary. How do others handle
this?