From: brian_z111 <brian_z111@xxxxxxxxx>
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, 8 February, 2008 1:35:13 AM
Subject: [amibroker] Re: no amibroker book?

Graham,

Sorry - I sent my reply to your PM by mistake.

I think these discussions help Tomasz and the community in general so
here is my viewpoint.

I agree with your suggestion - it is the sensible thing to do and a
lot are doing just that ("God helps those who help themselves"
and "if you want something done do it your self") - you are correct.

I wonder, though, how many thousands of hours you have put into
your 'keeps' and whether the majority, who work full time, are able
to match that?

However, I also agree with the others that we need a good AFL book
and IMO Tomasz is the man to write it - yes, even if he has to stop
development to do it - take a sabbatical and get out the feathered
pen Tomasz (I don't think Howard is doing an AFL book - although his
books go a long way towards it).

I actually drew a temporary line in the sand at starting my own mini-
database of clippings.

Reasons:

AB is not my first and last love.
It has taken an inordinate amount of my time to learn and I still
haven't got to the bottom of it.
I have to draw the line somewhere since it is my intention to be a
professional trader and not a professional amibrokerist.

As well as that I am a conceptual learner so I want to learn how to
do it from first principle and not just memorize it like a parrot.

Code help is great after you have exhuasted all personal efforts.

That is what training should do - teach us how to do it from first
princples rather than keeping a compendium of everyone elses past
solutions.

As well as that I have a philosophical objection to 1000's of people
having to labour away in private over their own AB training manuals
(a very inefficient use of precious HUMAN resources - "life is a
short warm moment, death is along cold rest" - Pink Floyd).

Also I like books.
They represent 10 -20 years of the authors live (the best part of it)
packed into a considered, ordered and edited presentation, all for
the bargain basement price of around $100 bucks.

Given the choice I would rather have a Tomasz 500 page AFL book than
anyone's 5000 page compendium of forum clips etc.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxx ps.com, Graham <kavemanperth@ ...> wrote:

> Why not do what I have done over the years, any useful tips from
posts
> are pasted to my own library
>
> There is a wealth of information in the various sources, it is just
> matter of reading and working through the tons of examples. eg AB
> library, AB yahoo groups file libraries, AB yahoo groups posts
(search
> for different topics/keywords) , User Knowledge base, AB Knowledge
> base, AB members area, and not to forget the AB help files (that
> contain a great search facility), and probably a few more I cannot
> recall from top of the head
>
> --
> Cheers
> Graham Kav
> AFL Writing Service
> http://www.aflwriti ng.com
>
> On 08/02/2008, brian_z111 <brian_z111@ ...> wrote:
> > Some people do better with a book because of the formal structured
> > approach. I agree with you on the wealth of resources though. We
> > shouldn't overlook the forum either. Look at the answer at
VarSelect
> > (var1, var2,n) etc - the forum virtually wrote a chapter on
demand -
> > you can't beat that.
> >
> > Graham's and Tomasz's forum answers, over the years, are a book in
> > themselves as well (thanks to all who continually answer code
> > questions in the forum - a book would be nice to have but we
would be
> > lost without you all).
> >
> > brian_z
> >

> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxx ps.com, Grant Noble <gruntus@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Did you bother to read the manual or look at the AFL library?
Those
> > are huge resources in
> > > themselves. More than enough there to begin anyone with coding.
> > When I was starting I was grateful
> > > that I didn't need to spend money on books. Neither do you..

There
> > where to

Sent from Yahoo! - a smarter inbox. __._,_.___