From: longarm61
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 9:45 PM
Subject: [amibroker] Re: Average Range

Patrick, you're awesome.  Thank you so much, from one NW trader to
another.  :-)

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "NW Trader" <pk47hargus@xxx> wrote:

> Hi Grant,
>
> Several hours ago I posted a reply to you with code attached,
however it has yet to show up.  Maybe I've been away so long that the
rules have changed, but no matter.  I'll try again and just include
the code within the message.  The following will plot the Average
Range as either points or percent of average Typical price
(selectable via the parameters menu (right click the chart, select
Parameters in the popup).  Period for the average is also selectable
in Parameters.  This uses a simple MA.  MA variations for Exp, Hull,
etc. can easily be substituted, or added as parameter selectable
choices.

> One note on the code Brian provided:  the _expression_ H-L used in
Midpoint returns the range for only the last bar (day).  As such,
IMHO  it is not useful for evaluating the midpoint of each day in the
average range period.  And while I didn't play with it much, I
couldn't get it to function properly in an indicator  (my apologies
Brian if I missed something).  As such, I find that either the MA of
Close or Average [ (H+L+C)/3 ] array are useful for an indicator such
as I think you wanted.  Below is the code originally attached to the
missing post, slightly modified to use AVG rather than C for the %
indicator.

> Enjoy.
>
> Peace and Justice   ---   Patrick
>

> // Average Daily Range
>
> // coded by NWTrader
>

> R = H-L;
>
> periods = Param( "Periods", 5, 1, 65, 1 );
>
> Display = Param("Display Points (1) or % of MA of Typical Price
(2)", 1,1,2,1 );

> AR = MA(R, Periods);
>
> PAR = (AR/MA(Avg,periods) )*100 ;
>
> X = IIf(display == 1, AR, PAR);
>
> Plot( X , WriteIf(DISPLAY==1,
>
> EncodeColor(colorYellow) + "Average (" + WriteVal(PERIODS,2.0) + "
period ) Daily Range (points) " ,

> EncodeColor(colorBlue) + "Average (" + WriteVal(PERIODS,2.0) + "
period ) Daily Range (% of C) "