Re: [amibroker] Re: An AB Design question for Tomasz - When does Buy and BuyPrice become active?

  • To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: An AB Design question for Tomasz - When does Buy and BuyPrice become active?
  • From: Dennis Brown <see3d@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 23:26:03 -0500

Barry,

Just remember that if the buy condition existed at one point, then
the next pass the conditions no longer exist, as far as AB is
concerned the buy condition NEVER existed.  If you want the buy
condition to be "remembered" across passes, you will have to "latch"
that fact into a static variable.  However, I think what you really
want to do is use the High or Low instead of the last to detect your
condition.  Once your H/L is achieved in the bar, it will never go
away.  That is what you are saying you really want.  Then set the
BuyPrice / SellPrice / ShortPrice / CoverPrice to that price that you
determine is your trigger point.   If you use the RT last data, you
might miss a RT data point during your bar (not every tick shows up
every pass), but the H & L will show it (even if delayed slightly).

Best regards,
Dennis

On Jan 28, 2008, at 10:20 PM, Barry Scarborough wrote:

> [...]
>>> which is set at the same time, never changed. What is going on?
>>>
>>> I want to generate a buy/sell immediately when the conditions are
>>> true. I thought maybe the conditions had to be true at the end of
> the
>>> bar before the Buy and BuyPrice become active. That does not seem
>>> be the case, at least not all the time. I noticed that if the
>>> conditions occurred during the bar but were not true at the end of
>>> the bar the Buy was not set. But if the conditions were true at
> the
>>> beginning of the next bar the Buy and BuyPrice were set
> immediately,
>>> before the end of the bar. What is going on? Is this a bug? How
> can
>>> Buy come on without BuyPrice being set. Why does it work at the
>>> beginning of the bar but not intra bar? How is this supposed to
>>> work?
>>>
>>> I added the code below with the exception of the system code.
>>>
>>> Another problem that we noticed was that using AddColumn to dump
> the
>>> trade prices to Excel does not always have the same value as what
> is
>>> plotted on the chart.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help,
>>> Barry
>>>
>>> Code fragment:
>>>
>>> // AND the indicator conditions to find the buy points
>>> Buy   = BuySigA AND upIND;
>>> // normal sell or if last bar and buy state
>>> Sell  = (SellSigA AND dnIND) OR tod == timeclose;
>>> // AND the indicator conditions to find the short points
>>> Short = ShortSigA AND dnIND;
>>> // normal cover or if last bar and short state
>>> Cover = (CoverSigA AND upIND) OR tod == timeclose;
>>>
>>> // in the following code fInRAnge determines whether to use the
>>> calculated price or the open price on a gap.
>>> // roundd the price up or down then adds or subtracts a tick
>>> depending on the signal, buy or short.
>>> pBuyPrice   = tick  + fRound(fInRange(IIf(Buy, fInd2, 0), up),
> up);
>>> pShortPrice = -tick + fRound(fInRange(IIf(Short, fInd2, 0), dn),
> dn);
>>> pSellPrice  = -tick + fRound(fInRange(IIf(Sell, fInd2, 0), dn),
> dn);
>>> pCoverPrice = tick  + fRound(fInRange(IIf(Cover, fInd2, 0), up),
> up);
>>>

>>> // make sure there are no multiple buys OR sells while a like
>>> position is Open
>>> Buy    = ExRem(Buy, Sell );
>>> Sell   = ExRem(Sell , Buy);
>>> Cover  = ExRem(Cover, Short );
>>> Short  = ExRem(Short , Cover);
>>> BuyPrice   = IIf(Buy, pBuyPrice, 0);
>>> SellPrice  = IIf(Sell, pSellPrice, 0);
>>> CoverPrice = IIf(Cover, pCoverPrice, 0);
>>> ShortPrice = IIf(Short, pShortPrice, 0);
>>>
>>> Filter = Buy OR Sell OR Short OR Cover; // set the conditions to
>>> monitor in analysis - back test, scan and explore
>>>
>>> // plot buy and sell arrows on the chart
>>> PlotShapes(Buy * shapeUpArrow, uparrow, 0, Low);
>>> PlotShapes(Sell * shapeDownArrow, dnarrow,0,Low );
>>> PlotShapes(Short * shapeCircle, dnarrow);
>>> PlotShapes(Cover * shapeHollowCircle, uparrow);
>>>
>>> // plotting functions
>>> Plot(C, Date() + " - System 1a " + NumToStr(search, 1.0) + " - C",
>>> background, styleCandle); 	// plot candles on the chart
>>> Plot(BuyPrice, "\nBuy Price", background ,  styleOwnScale |
>>> styleNoLine | styleNoLabel );
>>> Plot(SellPrice, "Sell Price", background ,  styleOwnScale |
>>> styleNoLine | styleNoLabel );
>>> Plot(ShortPrice, "Short Price", background ,  styleOwnScale |
>>> styleNoLine | styleNoLabel );
>>> Plot(CoverPrice, "Cover Price", background ,  styleOwnScale |
>>> styleNoLine | styleNoLabel );
>>> Plot(Buy, "\nBuy", background ,  styleOwnScale | styleNoLine |
>>> styleNoLabel );
>>> Plot(Sell, "Sell", background ,  styleOwnScale | styleNoLine |
>>> styleNoLabel );
>>> Plot(Short, "Short", background ,  styleOwnScale | styleNoLine |
>>> styleNoLabel );
>>> Plot(Cover, "Cover", background ,  styleOwnScale | styleNoLine |
>>> styleNoLabel );
>>>
>>> // code for exploration and export to spreadsheet
>>> AddColumn(BuyPrice, "Buy price", 1.3);
>>> AddColumn(SellPrice, "Sell price", 1.3);
>>> AddColumn(ShortPrice, "Short price", 1.3);