Re: [amibroker] Trading system development question

Hi Paul --

I am a firm believer in performing statistical validation of trading systems.  That means searching / optimizing over one set of data (the in-sample data), then testing over a set of data that has not been used to develop the system (the out-of-sample data).  Trading systems that show good results over the out-of-sample data are more likely to trade well with real money.  One of the things I have found is that trading systems that are selected on maximum CAR often do not trade well out-of-sample -- but you may have found systems that do.

Provided that your systems pass your validation tests, then you should be very glad that you have a lot of candidates.  One way to handle this is to group the stocks you are willing to trade into watch lists containing perhaps ten stocks each.  Run your system as a portfolio test once for each watch list and use the PositionScore feature of AmiBroker to determine the best individual stock to trade.

There is a much more detailed explanation of testing and validation, including setting up portfolios and using PositionScore in my book, Quantitative Trading Systems.  You can learn more about the book at its web site:

http://www.quantitativetradingsystems.com/

Thanks,
Howard