Re: [amibroker] QuoteTracker -- Beyond the Basics

On 7/27/07, Tomasz Janeczko <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

> As far as I can tell, It does NOTHING!!!!! (except confuse the user)
>
> From my point of view, Amibroker and Quicktime Plugin are BROKEN.

Your opinion is broken and you apparently don't read the docs.

If you read the docs you would see this:

"Time difference relative to US Eastern time - the time difference (in hours) between your local time and US Eastern time (EST). This field is needed because QuoteTracker's server reports all times in EST time zone. This means that if you live in Australia QuoteTracker will report ASX quotes with EST time zone and they will be 15 hours off from your local time. While AmiBroker has the setting for shifting intraday charts and this is not a problem when running Intraday mode, it becomes a problem when using daily (EOD) mode because quotes reported by QuoteTracker are one day off then. This setting solves this as AmiBroker adds the number of hours entered here to the time reported by QuoteTracker to get the valid date of quote in daily mode. This field is filled in with the difference calculated using your Windows Time settings. "

So this option inside the plugin config screen IS NOT FOR THE INTRADAY DATA
but for Daily updates so they land in correct day (not one day before or after)

Instead of making your own theories you should simply READ the docs.

As for the performance:
the speed of the plugin is limited not by AmiBroker but by HTTP interface QuoteTracker uses.

QuoteTracker people admitted that it was NOT efficient design to use HTTP web server to provide quotes
and they implemented completely new "streaming" interface that is faster.

I did not yet switch to their new interface because:

1. I have many other things on my plate and I am very busy implementing other things

2. "middle-man" application like QT (between quote source and AMiBroker) makes just things "fragile" and
it must be run all the time in parallel. This eats computer resources that can be better utilised when
direct connection to data source is implemented

3. AmiBroker connects *directly* to many major sources supported by QT (eSignal, IQFeed, Interactive Brokers, myTrack).
Direct connection is orders of magnitude better.

4. QuoteTracker has been bought by Ameritrade and it is no longer independent software vendor and I am not sure if
    3rd party data sources will continue to be supported in the future - it may happen that all development investment going
into "new" plugin for QT would be wasted the day Ameritrade decides not to support 3rd party sources in QT.----------------->subject to correction as always,  QT has made sales prior to being acquired by Ameritrade. In all likelihood Ameritrade will carefully examine contractual obligations it has taken upon itself when it acquired QT and will not be hasty in dumping the facility QT has of accessing data from multiple sites ( I admit there is an element of wishful thinking here :) ). So why dont you please spare sometime for us QT users at the earliest convenient ? Hoping that your plate is in accomodative mood.

Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com