[amibroker] Re: AmiBroker Users' Knowledge Base

Dan,

We have added the links you mentioned.
I agree they are key components of AB's presentation to users and
should be there.

If users want it can be a focal point for accessing the various info
sources for AB (we will never get an ideal single desk and of course
freedom of choice means some will always want to work in different
ways).

Also, newcomers might find there way to the UKB via a websearch so
the homepage will lead back to amibroker.com.

Brian.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan Clark" <dan_public@xxx> wrote:

> Tomasz,
>

> This is excellent work.  I give it a big "Two Thumbs Up" and hearty
> congratulations to the designers and authors.
>

> Since I'm new to this kind of format, I'm not quite sure how to
proceed.  As
> time frees up, I'd like to add to the UKB, but here are a few small
> suggestions for enhancement:
>

> *         At the top of the new KB table of contents, add links to
the
> current AB documentation,including:
>
> a.    Especially the current AFL Function Reference
> (http://www.amibroker.com/guide/afl/)
>
> b.    AFL Library (http://www.amibroker.com/library/)
>
> c.    AB User's Guide (http://www.amibroker.com/guide/
>
> d.    Dev Log (http://www.amibroker.com/devlog/).
>

> IMO, all of these valuable sources of info for solving problems.
It would
> be great to be able to jump to them quickly.
>

> *         Copy the current Knowledge Base contents
> (http://www.amibroker.com/kb/) to this new Knowledge Base.   E.g
> http://www.amibroker.com/kb/2007/03/ shows how to chart spreads.
After all
> articles are copied, retire the current Knowledge Base.
>

> *         In AB, add a Knowledge Base link to the "Help" menu.
>

> One other point.
>

> IMO, when someone complains about the documentation, they have
actually
> said, "By complaining, I agree to do something about it.   I
volunteer to
> research this and write the changes in the Knowledge Base."  The
reality
> here is that AB is the best analytical tool available.  To get
better
> documentation, Tomasz could 1) slow development of new features and
bug
> fixes, 2) increase the cost of AB to cover the cost of hiring a
tech writer,
> or 3) have the users help with the documentation.  Me? I vote for 3.
>

> One question, why write a post in MS Word and then copy it to
Windows Live
> Writer?  Why not use Windows Live Writer to write the whole thing?
(I've
> never used WLW, so I don't know its capabilities.)
>

> Regards,
>

> Dan.
>

> p.s. When I was the President of the Board of Directors (BOD) of a
condo
> association, I used this multiple times.   During a BOD meeting,
someone
> would stand up and complain.  I'd say, "Excellent point!  Thanks for
> volunteering to lead a study group to fix the problem.  Gather some
info,
> analyze it, and bring recommendations to the Board."  About 90% of
the time
> the complainer would never bring it up again because it wasn't
worth their
> time (other than to complain).  The other 10% of the time the
complainer
> would actually do something valuable and get a real problem
fixed.   BS
> complaints died down and real issues got fixed.

On Behalf
> Of Tomasz Janeczko
>
> Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2007 4:24 AM
>
> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Subject: [amibroker] AmiBroker Users' Knowledge Base
>

> Hello,
>

> As recently discussed a new project called "Users' Knowledge Base"
(UKB for
> short)
>
> has been created.
>
> The site was created to save you time, raise your productivity, aid
you in
> your Amibroker Formula Language (AFL) learning
>
> experience, and help you become a more successful trader. Although
this site
> is owned and operated by AmiBroker, its contents are
>
> entirely contributed by users like you.
>

> Check out the UKB at: http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/
>

> For more information please read:
>
> "About Users Knowledge Base":
>
> http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/about-the-user's-knowledge-base/
>

> and the other documents in the "Info" section of the UKB.
>

> There is already lots of valuable material published by early
contributors
> (Herman, Al and Brian) and I
>
> would like to say big "THANK YOU" to them for the effort put into
these
> great informational materials.
>

> Please note that the site is intended to be live, evolving project,
so it is
> NOT considered "complete"
>
> and our intention is to add features and contents to it over time.
There may