[amibroker] Re: S & P 500 list

Hello Dick,

As you are a Yahoo user:

The S&P symbols might not match Yahoo?

To get current Yahoo index lists (note - limited to a few only).

Yahoo stock screener, which was part of their RT subscribers package,
is now free.

http://screener.finance.yahoo.com/newscreener.html

Use the Java stockscreener and not the HTML screener.
Screen by criteria >descriptive>S&P500> sector by sector.
Manually enter 200 into the number to include (200 is the limit so
that is why it has to be done sector by sector).

I son't know how good it is as they only come up with 470 stocks in
the list.

I am including the above in a series of infromational articles on
Yahoo data and database management for the UKB site.

refer to:

http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/2007/05/12/example-database/

Sorry but the series is only just beginning and I haven't made it to
the Stock screener yet (I have been busy on UKB setup and admin
tasks).

Of course, in the end you can't beat the advanced download methods of
Jim Swindle, David Piatek and Dingo - extracting the Yahoo S&P 500
from their lists would be superior to the methods I am writing about.

I am covering the basic stuff as an educational series to strengthen
our knowledge of AB features, rather than expecting that many would
acutally use my methods frequently (it's far easier and quicker to
use Jims database).

We are looking for other authors to write tutorials, articles etc on
other ways of acquiring and managing data (I am only
doing 'everything Yahoo up to intermediate level).

Brian.