[amibroker] Re: volume based MP

Well, I just found a clear VA definition from CBOT site.

70% Value Area Calculation

Price Volume Time Brackets
110 10 X
109 50 XX
108 80 XXX
107 90 XXXX
106 150 XXXXX
105 70 XXX
104 60 XX
103 20 X
102 15 X
101 10 X

Total Volume = 555
70% Volume = 388
70% Value Area = 105 to 108

  • To calculate the 70% range, start with the high volume price. If the volume for the high volume price makes up 70% or more of the trading day's total volume, the high volume price is the 70% value area.

  • If it is not, check the volume for the price above the high volume price and the price below it. Take the larger of the two and add this volume to the high price volume. Continue in this manner until you have 70% of the day's total volume.

  • In this example, 70% of the volume is 388. Start with the price of 106 which has volume of 150. Then compare the volume of the price above 106 with the volume of the price below 106. Because 90 is greater than 70, add 90 to 150, which equals 240. Because we are still under 388 we must continue the process. Next compare the volume for the price above 107 with the volume for the price below 106. Once again because 80 is greater than 70, add 80 to 240, which equals 320.Since we are still short 68 (388 minus 320), compare the volume for the price above 108 with the volume for the price below 106. Since 70 is greater than 50, add 70 to 320, which equals 390 and approximately equals 70% of the total volume (388).

  • The 70% value area calculation is generally greater than 70%. Why? We would have to use fractions of the volume at each price to come out with exactly 70%.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ara Kaloustian" <ara1@xxx> wrote:

> I think we are having a terminology issue.
>
> UFH and UFL are obviously outside the fair value area, which is defined as where 70% of the volume is for he specified period..
>
> What I was suggesting is that within the time frame of interest you start at the highest price and accumulate volume for each price range, going down one step at a time (you need to have volume allocated to price ranges that you create) untill you accumulate 15% of total volume. That is the upper limit of FAIR value. Anything above that would be Unfair value area.
>
> The same for the low end