[amibroker] Re: once again, this AFL fights you every step of the way. Sorry, this is a badl

 Hello,

 I would like to add a few lines on this.
 I'm not an experienced programmer but I have to say that I picked up
AFL very quickly. Being an array processing language is very easy for
someone that uses Excel, for example.
 The user guide with all the tutorials makes the learning task easier.
 The only thing that I would like to see more examples of, is the
Custom Backtester to allow unexperienced programmers like me to code
more advanced stuff. I hope that the users knowledgebase can help on
this....
   I'd glad that there are books like QTS (which I already own) and
the new one which is coming in 2008, to build a more stronger
community  of users.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Howard B" <howardbandy@xxx> wrote:

> Greetings all --
>
> I am writing a book -- Introduction to AmiBroker -- that will help some
> people.  I expect it to be available in early 2008.  It will fill in the
> area between zero and Quantitative Trading Systems, the book that was
> published earlier this year.
>
> But no matter how good the AmiBroker documentation is (and I think it is
> already excellent), or how good the AFL Wizard is (it is also
excellent), or
> how many books are read, creating profitable trading systems still
requires
> serious effort and understanding -- coming up with ideas,
translating them
> into AmiBroker code, testing the code, debugging the code, verifying
that
> the code performs as intended, selecting issues to trade,
backtesting the
> trading system, deciding on a goodness metric (and adding it as a custom
> metric to the performance statistics if necessary), performing
out-of-sample
> tests, and validating the trading system.  Then trading it.
>
> No matter how clever Tomasz is with the AFL Wizard, it is the
responsibility
> of the trader him or herself to understand how the trading system works.
> The trading system Is computer code, and the open, high, low, close,
volume
> series it processes Is data.  I would be naive if I thought I could
> understand the trading system well enough to trust my money to it
without
> understanding the computer code, its interaction with the data, and
details
> of generation of the trading signals.
>
> The low-hanging fruit of computer-based trading systems has already been
> picked.  Simple systems no longer work.  Everyone hoping to develop a
> profitable mechanical trading system Must understand the language in
which
> it is written.  It makes no difference whether the platform is
AmiBroker,
> TradeStation, MetaStock, Wealth Lab, or whatever else.  Not
understanding is
> placing trust in a black box.
>
> AmiBroker is outstanding!  I have experience with most trading system
> platforms, am fluent in many of them, and have written one myself.
> AmiBroker is outstanding -- it is clearly the best platform
available to us
> common folks today, and Tomasz is pushing it farther forward with
every new
> release.
>
> I participate in a regular exercise class.  About once a week, one
of the
> class members complains about how hard we are being asked to work.  The
> instructor turns, asks "Who's whining?  No whining!"  We are all
there by
> choice.
>
> We are all working with AmiBroker by choice.
>
> Let's get back to a more profitable use of the discussion group.
>
> Thanks for listening,
> Howard
> www.quantitativetradingsystems.com
>

> On 5/28/07, wavemechanic <fimdot@xxx> wrote:
> >
> >    *There was a discussion about this on AB-TS (?) a couple of months
> > ago.  Bottom line, most can probably shorten the learning curve by
first
> > going through one of the DIY "how to do it" books on programming
in C, C++,
> > etc.  In a relatively few pages, the mysteries of loops,
if-then-else, etc.
> > will become clear to most readers, allowing them to concentrate on
AFL code

<amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>*, "Randy

**http://www.amibroker.com/devlog/*<http://www.amibroker.com/devlog/>
**http://www.amibroker.com/support.html*<http://www.amibroker.com/support.html>