[amibroker] Re: AFL code wizard - preview presentation

Hello,

The code wizard by TJ is a good step forward, though its of not much
use now, there's not even the arithmetic operator to generate
1.05*ATR. I am sure it will develop soon. Anyway whats the big deal
about programming illiterate et al. There are great traders who are
programming illiterate and others can use packages like Neoticker that
makes the job of programming much easier, with built in code wizards.
Unless you are a custom code writer, you will surely know that trading
results depend on your system, not your code writing ability. Now TJ
has made it much less time-consuming. Its like saying why have 4th
generation languages, lets use assembly language forever or even punch
cards! Just my opinion! Of course I agree to some of what you are
saying. MC simulation and others will help much more than code wizard.

Regards

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ton Sieverding"
<ton.sieverding@xxx> wrote:

> I agree. That's what it should be. The Wizard. A Tool for Newcomers
AND for experienced programmers ...

> Regards, Ton.

fact is that the wizard will help newcomers pick up on AFL quicker and
that it will help part-time traders to be more productive. Perhaps, at
some future date, it may even help advanced programmers optimize their
code. Compare writing native AFL to writing hand-coded assembly code,
most of the time the compiler won't provide you with optimum solutions
but it is still nice to see how the compiler solves the problem and
perhaps pick up some ideas, or copy a few lines of code. Sometimes
doing this can be a major time saver for even the experienced
programmer - in any programming language.

>   Someone referred to the wizard as a "stepping stone" and I think
that is a perfect description. No matter how advanced the wizard will
become it can never deliver more than writing your own AFL code. The
strength of AFL is that it has powerful basic functions (i.e. looping)
that lets you break free from tradition.  All "wizards" are based on
traditional and often over-used approaches; they "try" to think for
you. This is great when you want to learn but not when you want to
think independently.

>   In conclusion, it is great to have a wizard but if your are
serious about developing your own trading system let it be your
stepping stone to more original and innovative work. Studying AFL
might well be your best investment in time ever.

>   best regards,
>
>   herman
>

>   Sunday, May 20, 2007, 9:34:58 PM, you wrote:
>

>         >
>        I dont think what he said is crap. He made a prediction and
we will know sometime in the future its either true or not true.

>         His concern might not be well founded, and his writing might
not be dipomatic, but his take on the wizard is interesting indeed,
and we'll know the answer to that some time in the future.

>         Andrew, if you just want to trade and not worry about
becoming a pseudo-programmer, then do that and no one else is worried
either.