[amibroker] Re: Basic Monte Carlo

Howard
Thanks for your response.
I had noted references to a "PBT v2.5" for use with excel and a
similar "MCS calculations for Amibroker". I've also seen posts
including the code "run=Optimize("run",1,1,100,1);PositionScore =
Random();" so I was trying to make sense of it all.
I look forward to your book.
Bernard

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Howard B" <howardbandy@xxx> wrote:

> Hi Bernard --
>
> I think you are not getting clear answers to your questions on the
board for
> several reasons.  One, Monte Carlo analysis is not well
understood.  Two,
> AmiBroker has limited native Monte Carlo analysis tools.  Three,
correct use
> of Monte Carlo analysis requires quite a lot of work beyond writing
the code
> for a simple trading system, and the computational requirements and
run
> times expand many-fold -- 100 times the computation is not
unusual.  Four,
> interpretation of the results requires knowledge of statistical
analysis and
> its application to output from multiple runs.  Five, the resulting
trading
> system no long gives a single answer about the profitability of its
use, but
> rather a probability distribution.
>
> After performing Monte Carlo analysis, the systems designer is in
the
> position of the man who just bought a second watch -- he used to
know what
> time it was, but now he is not sure.
>
> I have talked with Tomasz at length about several features that
will enhance
> AmiBroker's capabilities in areas related to validation of trading
systems,
> including Monte Carlo analysis.  I believe he has plans to extend
AmiBroker
> in this area.
>
> In the mean time, there are a few things you can do yourself.  Your
copy of
> the book -- Quantitative Trading Systems -- is on its way to you.
It went