Re: [amibroker] A case for not going low level: a simple example

Hello,

Well sometimes it is easier to add something completely new than
to deal with old stuff because you need to be very careful about "habits".

styles are binary flags to be combined together like
styleThick | styleLine | styleOwnScale

Making extra thickness as more than one "style" is not good idea because
some may start trying non-sense combinations like:
styleThick | styleThick3 | styleThick7 | styleOwnScale

Plus there are only 32 style bits available in the 32 bit style field and there
is simply no room for 10 styles just for thickness.

Therefore extra thickness will need to be handled as extra parameter of Plot()
function. Problem is that to maintain backward compatibility you can not
change the order of existing parameters so any extra param needs to go
at the very end of parameter list. Plot has already 7 parameters
http://www.amibroker.com/guide/afl/afl_view.php?plot
and adding width will make it 8. Then I will hear lament that it is not "easy to use"
because you need to specify all 8 params in order to specify width.

The other option is to add new PlotEx function with different parameter ordering
and keeping Plot() untouched.

Either one or second idea will be eventually implemented.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com