[amibroker] Re: Tools for ASX Database Maintenance

Hi,

The reson for using Excel is that you get everything in one neat
package. The code and the data. Plus you get a windows GUI. Running a
jscript is not very friendly. The Excel code is easy to change
whenever GICS changes.

Geoff

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael.S.G." <OzFalconAB@xxx>
wrote:

> Hi Geoff,
>     You should have waited until the new release of the ASX GICS
sector
> codes.
> There are (at least) two new sectors that I am aware of :
>     60 Property trusts
>     65 Financial-x-Property trusts
> http://www2.standardandpoors.com/app/Satellite?
pagename=spcom/page/download&sectorid=%20%3E%20'00'&itemname=%3E=%
20'1'&dt=23-APR-2007&indexcode=ASX200
> You may see examples in the S&P watchlists (Above). BUT these
changes
> have not yet appeared on the ASX stock listing (Below).
> http://www.asx.com.au/research/pdf/gics_structure.pdf
> http://www.asx.com.au/asx/downloadCsv/ASXListedCompanies.csv
>
> I'm not sure why you are using excel/macros to do the work. It's
very
> limiting to be bound by Excel.
> Perhaps you have your own reasons for not using
> http://www.amibroker.org/3rdparty/ASX_Setup/
> It does everything you have just mentioned and more in a much
cleaner
> method (JScript rather than excel macros).
>
> Why do you have item #1 EOD data load.....
>     What's it's purpose and why is simply importing ascii EOD (Part
of
> AmiBroker) not easier?
>

> ** Special Note **
> ASX setup (Above Link) is to be updated very soon (Early May) and
will
> also cater for new GICS (60,65) and S&P new download
location/format.

> ** Special Note II **
> The S&P website has been in a state of change and recently the
ability
> to download S&P lists had been lost.
> The ability to download the S&P constituent lists in .CSV format
(Above
> Link) is now available again.
>
> ** Special Note III **
> Interesting website. But this comment I found astounding <grin> Are
you mad!
>  >>Consequently I switched from using Perl and re-wrote most of my
code
> in Excel VBA.
>

> Cheers (And the BBQ pic is great)
>
> ATB
>      Michael.
>

> Geoff Mulhall wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've created 3 Excel macros with a single easy GUI interface for
the
> > following
> >

> > 1. End of Day Data Load - to be used in an emergency when your
usual
> > data supplier has a problem
> > 2. Industry Update - to ensure each stock is correctly assigned
to the
> > correct Sector and Industry
> > 3. Non Trading Update - to move non trading stocks to Group 255
so they
> > do not have to be scanned unnecessarily but can easily be moved
back to
> > Group 0 if they commence trading again
> >
> > The download is available at
> >
> > http://www.geoffmulhall.com/ASXToolsforAmibroker.html
> > <http://www.geoffmulhall.com/ASXToolsforAmibroker.html>
> >

> > Messages in this topic

zloa25lBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwMTA2OTIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1NjMyMTk4BG1
zZ0lkAzEwOTU0MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzExNzczNzA0ODMEdHBjSWQDM
TA5NTQy>
> > (1)

TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwMTA2OTIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1NjMyMTk4BG1zZ0lkAzEwO
TU0MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzExNzczNzA0ODM-?
act=reply&messageNum=109542>