[amibroker] Re: Detecting barcount = 0

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "whitneybroach" <WhitneyBroach@xxx>
wrote:

> While creating watchlists from external files, I encounter the problem
> of a symbol having zero bars in the current database.

> Can AFL report a zero-bar symbol?

Agree with Paul and WM.

Adding a little more detail as I was having fun yesterday playing with
the same.

It is inbuilt for AB not to recognise no quotes arrays.
I assume the logic is that it would be a processing nightmare if it did.
As a preferential GUI user I tried every which way/function etc for no
gain.

There are at least five ways to handle no quote symbols that I can find:

1. script as per WM's comments - detail at Ami website newsletters -

>Welcome to the 5th issue of AmiBroker Tips newsletter.
>The main topic of this issue is how to remove stocks that are no
>longer traded from your database in automatic fashion.
> #3 Tip of the week: : Culling database - How to detect non trading
stocks?

>A complete Cleanup.js script can be found here (links from
newsletter). You could safely save >this file onto your hard disk,
launch AmiBroker and double click on >the script file (in Windows
Explorer). The script will run detecting >your old stocks, and it will
not delete anything unless you confirm >deletion manually. Advanced
users can play with described parameters >to make this script better
suited for your personal purposes.

http://www.amibroker.com/newsletter/05-2000.html

2. comments at # message 87808 DanClark - I haven't read this in detail,
I don't know if it is substantially different to Tomasz'z script.

3. using AB database purify tool as per #108778 Brian_z - this provides
a deletable watchlist of no quote tickers.

4. for Yahoo users Amiquote provides at least two useful ways to handle
unwanted stock - transfer symbols from blank AB databases within AQ and
push data to AB OR after download no quotes stocks are auto checked in
AQ and can be deleted - refer #108892 re pushing lists into blank
databases.
Lists before and after deletes in AQ can be saved as.tls>change
extension to .txt and copy/paste into Xcel for a makeover.

5. right click watchlists or menu watchlists and export to Xcel for
manipulation.

Brian_Z