Re: [amibroker] Tomasz is right, stick with C++ apps

scourt2000 wrote:
> I've been playing around with some "other charting packages" out
> there and there's one theme that runs through all of them:  if the
> charting package is based on .Net, it's going to be a performance
> dog compared to a C++ native code-programmed app.
>
> THANK YOU Tomasz for not getting on the .Net bandwagon.  For real-
> time stock market and futures charting, it may be easier to program
> in C# than C++, but your end-users will suffer the consquences of
> that decision.
>
> It won't matter when computers are twice as fast as they are now,
> but now, there's a noticeable difference in performance and
> responsiveness.  I'm not even talking about being clever about
> backtesting speed-ups and the like.  I'm talking about basic data
> retrieval, plotting and user manipulation of the charts.
>
> Anyway, had to get that out of my system.  Kudos to you Tomasz!

Generally, the tool is as good as the hands that wield it.  Before
AmiBroker, I had a couple of custom tools which I'd written in .NET
which included a custom charting component which was deadly fast.  I
left my own tools to collect dust because my time trades for a
significant premium over $229.  The amount of time I spent making my
charting component faster than greased lightning was at the expense of
time spent doing worthwhile research.

.NET can also draw in plain old COM components.  TeeChart, long the gold
standard for charting components, releases its WinForms .NET as a simple
.NET wrapper.

The problem with "some other charting packages" is they have likely used
open-source components like nChart, which are great for displaying
static charts, but are too slow for displaying large data sets which
update frequently.  I think you can even pull in the Excel charting
component.

It was not too long ago that I recall the great debate about how C++ was
so slow compared to C...  New programming tools tend to used to create
less efficient programs, and that improves as programmers' understanding
increases.  It turns out that everyone complaining about C++ speed were
passing massive templated data structures by value instead of reference,
and C++ wasn't actually the catalyst for the second coming.

Corollary:  most programmers are crap.

Regards,
Matt