  From: vlanschot
  To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 2:55 AM
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Backtesting using historical fundamentals in AB?

  David,

  For reliable and long histories of fundamental data (including
  analysts' estimates) you really have to use professional data-
  providers, and unfortunately (but understandably) that costs money. I
  use Datastream (who own IBES/First Call) and Bloomberg. Both
  Bloomberg and Reuters do not have as much historic data as Datastream.

  Re Q2, I integrate macro, fundamental and technical data in quant
  models, and yes, due to the ThCSV-plugin (now to be replaced by the
  SQL-plugin)Amibroker allows one to combine this data, backtest it,
  etc.

  This is my approach. In general, as others have pointed out also,
  find / create a niche, the precondition for success.

  Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

  PS

  --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dwrowley_2000" <dwrowley@xxx>
  wrote:

  > I traded for about a year using AB based on various TA strategies,
  and
  > generated some returns, but then I got the 'fundamentals' religion
  and
  > moved over to Portfolio123.com
  >
  > However, I always really liked AB, the support, the continual
  > improvement, etc. - and now I see that AB supports fundamental data!
  >
  > A couple of questions:
  >
  > - What data sources provide historical fundamental data? What
  are
  > people using? (The matrix lists QuotePlus as a source of fundamental
  > data, but it isn't clear if they provide HISTORICAL fundamental data
  > that I can use for backtesting)
  >
  > - Are people actually doing this? Anyone have good success?
  >
  > I've been asking the P123 guys to add more TA functions, but they
  > don't really seem to put a high priority on it.
  >
  > I think AB + access to the same historical fundamental data that
  P123