Re: [amibroker] How stupid can I be???

Hi Tom,

Didn't change anything, sadly, but thanks for the try.

I did wonder what settings might work there, and have tried several.
One thing I haven't tried yet is to establish the AM session as the
"Day Session" (9 to 11 AM) and the PM session as the "Evening
Session" (12:30 to 3 PM).  But I'll wait and see what others say
about this.

It's also not the appending of the Timenum() line to the Buy
statement that causes problems.  I get no trades with or without that
line when I set periodicity to 1 minute.

But I do have an eSignal database, and it is one-minute bars.  ^_^

I am appalled that I cannot do this without external help.  This is
simply a first step of course; eventually I'd like a little more (is
the word "granularity") in my testing (first hour, second hour, last
hour, etc.).

Yuki

t> Hi

t> In database setting, try " show day session only", instead of "show 24 hours trading"

t> Tom

t>   ----- Original Message -----
t>   From: Yuki Taga
t>   To: Tomasz Janeczko
t>   Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 4:48 PM
t>   Subject: Re: [amibroker] How stupid can I be???

t>   Hi Tomasz,

t>   I don't know what to say. It doesn't work.

t>   Your assumption 1 is correct, I believe: see the
t>   IntradaySettings.png.

t>   Your assumption 2 is *absolutely* correct. In fact, I do not exit
t>   same day, anyway (unless I override, which I rarely do). Here is my
t>   exit:

t>   ApplyStop( stopTypeNBar, stopModeBars, delay, True, False );

t>   I have had this code a long time, and RT results and trading results
t>   are never off by even one single yen -- other than fast-market trade
t>   entry miss or something like that. But it is accurate, realistic,
t>   and works -- the code I mean. But I cannot, using my eSignal
t>   one-minute database, isolate AM and PM entries. I have tried, on my
t>   own, to do this FOREVER, and I cannot do it.

t>   All I do is two things (other than what I would do with my master EOD
t>   database):

t>   1) Change periodicity to 1 minute (see file)

t>   2) Append 'AND Timenum() <= 120000;' to the end of the Buy statement.

t>   Then I backtest.

t>   But I generally get *no* trades as a result when I backtest after
t>   doing this. For example, using either last n days = 2, or using From
t>   2/7/2007 To 2/8/2007, I get no trades. That's wrong. There were
t>   four signals, three yesterday and one today. One of the trades on
t>   2/7 (yesterday) was at about 9:30 AM. I didn't dream it.

t>   Looking back, say, 100 bars, where I would have dozens and dozens of
t>   trades, I get maybe 4 to show up. That's not realistic. It's flat
t>   out way wrong. I know from years of experience most of my entries
t>   come in the AM session. Off hand, I'd say it's 2-1 or higher.
t>   Naturally, now that I am accumulating a longer and longer intraday
t>   database, I'd like to isolate these instances and test them.

t>   I cannot.

t>   Using the RT database in daily mode (with periodicity set at daily),
t>   there is no problem backtesting. But of course I'm *not* able to
t>   isolate signals by using Timenum() that way. Not that I can isolate
t>   them in any case, mind you.

t>   This is, to say the least, excruciatingly frustrating for me. I
t>   don't believe I am completely stupid, obviously, and I cannot see why
t>   this (apparently) simple little thing will not work for me.

t>   This is the *reason* I bought the RT version of AB years ago, and why
t>   I started subscribing to eSignal immediately when it became available
t>   in Japan. And on top of that, I knew the first few years of
t>   subscription would only serve to build up a database, and that I
t>   could not do realistic intraday testing until I had sufficient
t>   instances and data to draw reasonably valid conclusions from.

t>   I want to throw up now. ^_^

t>   Yuki