[amibroker] Re: Studies & Layers question

Hi Joe,

CVS does something similar as you are doing now, only more elegantly
and with more options (e.g. adding comments to the versions). The name
of the file always stays the same and you retrieve all versions that
you checked into CVS.

1. You can download the "Latest Recommended Release", and then
Download Installer.
2. Unzip it and install it. During the installation you will be asked,
it you want to install CVSNT, where you must click on Yes.
3. Read a WinCVS tutorial to learn the most important things. E.g. at
 http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/~cs422/WinCVS%20Tutorial.htm. This tutorial
explains an older version, so some things have changed a little... A
good overview is also: http://www.thathost.com/wincvs-howto/
4. Download and install WinMerge from www.winmerge.org. This is a
graphical viewer of file differences. This is very useful, it you
can't remember what modifications you did. As explained in the WinCVS
tutorial, you can use WinMerge from WinCVS by modifying the entry
under Admin->Preferences->WinCVS->ExternalDiff (which should point to
WinMerge.exe).
5. First you must make a new repository: Remote->Create a new
repository ...
6. On the "Init settings" tab, click on "..."
Protocol: it you use CVS only on your computer, choose "local",
otherwise "pserver" (in this case this will be the CVS server for your
network and other computers can access this server too).
Repository path: this is where the repository files are located on
your computer. E.g. C:\cvsrepository
7. Then add your first module. To check that you understood it all,
import first a test module with some source files in it and play
around until you feel comfortable with CVS.
Then add the directory where your afl-Files are located (e.g.
C:\Program Files\Amibroker\Formulas) (same procedure as described as
import module). I have all afl-Files checked in CVS, also the ones
that came with Amibroker, like this you have always the original
files, in case you messed something up. You could even consider
checking in the layouts as well...

Maybe this all sounds complicated now, but it really isn't. In one to
two hours you should be ready to use CVS. After you get used to it,
you won't develop source code without it again.
If you questions, send me an email or post it to the forum.

Best regards,

Daniel