From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Yuki Taga
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 3:35 AM
To: Edward Pottasch
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Another Hard Bounce

Ed,

Nobody is ever going to accuse me of being the master about this
subject.  ^_^

But I would do the following:

1) Get a Bayesian filtering program.  (I use K-9.)

2) Never use anything that produces bounces.

3) Use a whitelist.

4) Use a blacklist, too.

Generally, my combination gets about 99.75 percent correct.  Yes, I
get some false negatives (SPAM that is not identified as SPAM).  More
rarely, the false positive (identified as SPAM that isn't).

But all the identified-as-SPAM mail goes to the trash, where I can
analyze it in seconds.

"Unprotected", I don't know.  But bouncing SPAM email is a no-no. You
are bouncing messages to people that had *nothing* to do with the
original message.  Much better to silently accept, filter, and
dispose.  Never, ever, acknowledge receipt of SPAM.  A bounce, should
it even go to the true sender (highly unlikely), would do just that.
Simply ignore.  Delete and forget.

Bayesian filters are impossible to defeat.  They can be circumvented,
temporarily, but they "learn".  Every time they mess up, you teach
them.  They get "smarter".

Yuki

EP> hi Yuki,

EP> so then turning the spam filter off indeed solves the problem. I
EP> did not see any use for it since almost all my incoming messages
EP> were labelled SPAM.  Turning it off seems to work for me although
EP> McAfee gives a message that my system is now "unprotected" ....

EP> regards, Ed

McAfee
EP>   EP> security center I did not -yet- have any bounces. I
EP> thought the reason was on my side ....

EP>   There are some anti-SPAM programs that try to combat SPAM by
bouncing
EP>   messages. This is a really *bad* idea of course, because almost
all
EP>   return email addresses on SPAM are forgeries. Bouncing simply
clogs
EP>   up the network with packets that mean nothing to anyone.

EP>   Perhaps this is what Yahoo! means by "hard bounce". I'm not
sure.