[amibroker] Re: Very profitable DOW system

Herman, Bill, Marshall,

Excellent feedback, perhaps we should continue discussion on the -ts
board.  As Herman stated, longer term systems would suffer less from
overcrowding, although the number of people on this board really is a
drop in the ocean to the liquid US markets (unless everyone is running
large hedge funds ;-)  ).

As you say, finding a tradeable mechanical system is quite tough due
to drawdown and runs of losers.  To overcome this problem, I have
developed a list of objectives required to minimise these problems.
For example (objectives and reasoning):

1) US index system (liquidity, available leverage, availability of
backtesting data, NO SURVIVORSHIP BIAS, internals - more detail below)

2) Timeframe - daily (day job, less time in front of the pc)

3) Max. drawdown 2-3% (index percentage).  For example, on a dow
system trading one YM contract per $5K account value, 600 points or
5%DD would lead to a margin call.  Objectives 4 and 5 are also critical.

4) Winning percentage > 70% (Small runs of losers and strong
bounce-back after drawdown).

5) Small amount of capital allocated initially, say $10K or 2
contracts.  For emotional wellbeing, but also ties into point 6.

6) Profit target 30%.  In the dow example this allows capital to
double several times per year using fixed fractional money management.

While indicators do work for some, they are only derivatives of price.
 I believe that using the power of amibroker to study the index
internal components, one can arrive at a robust, high win% system
fitting the above.  If this type of system interests collaborators, I
have some starting points which work quite well.

Kevin

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "steesehwy" <steesehwy@xxx> wrote:

> Marshall,
>
> I'm in group 1, I suppose.  I have a good grasp of programming and
> trading rule development, and recently came to AmiBroker (and the
> Yahoo groups) to learn how to use this product to validate methods
> (back-test, optimize, etc).  I'm considering automated trading, to
> remove the occasional discipline problems I have with taking all my
> setups, and exiting according to all my exit rules.  I'd be glad to
> join a group 4 (non-freeloading research), though each of us may have
> very specific issues.  Note that the AmiBroker-ts group discusses
> trading system development, but is a much less active group than this
> one.  If some folks would like to continue this discussion there, or
> in a new group, I'd be glad to discuss AmiBroker trading issues and
> research areas of mutual interest.
>
> BTW, my current trading consists of intraday Russell 2000 emini
> (Globex, ER2).
>
> - Bill
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "M. Smith" <ink@> wrote:
> >
> > Herman,  I have been trading for over 35 years. I have met many a
> trader who says indicators are the only way and I have met as many who
> say you are nuts to waste your  time on them because of the randomness
> of the markets.  Now, Those who use indicators and do relatively well
> are statistically in the minority.  That is usually because even with
> a good system, they can not consistently use it.  They alter their
> trading rules during the day.  Personally, I have been with the
> Amibroker group for a long time.  They have all been as helpful as
> possible.  What I have noted about the group over the years is that it
> can be divided into groups.  Group 1 has the programming language
> capability and good sense about trading rules. They put together their
> systems and really do not share their work.  Personal choice.  The 2nd
> group is a group who has a great mind for sequential formula
> development which assimilates the rules on paper,but does not have the
> programming skills.  They seek advice from simple to complex issues of
> language.  #rd, is the group who want everyone else to work out the
> bugs and then write out the formula and tell them when it  is ready to
> use.  That is strictly the way I read the group.  I would love to see
> the great minds of the group work as a team and see  what is there to
> assemble into a winning formula for the group to try and produce data
> for testing.  It is called research.  Then everyone has a stake in the
> development process and is not freeloading on the ph.d's and other
> brains.  I would love to see it run as a separate group and have a
> large number of participants.  That is only my feelings and would like
> as much feed back as humanly possible. Limited feedback means no
> takers and an interest level in work is nil.  "Sey la vie".  Marshall

 This