[amibroker] Re: OT: Statistics

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian.z123" <brian.z123@xxx> wrote:

> PS
>
> For the record.
>
> Is there any info around that you know about that explains how to
do
> MCS in AB now?

One function you may find useful is below:

function MCOSGets(Mu, SD, Distr)
{
	Dir="Y:\\Amibroker\\ExcelFiles\\RandomNrsNormDist.csv";
	//"Y:\\MathCad\\Amibroker\\ExportCSV\\RandomNnrs.csv";
	osInitialize();
	ImportTable = osTabCreate();
	//osTabAddColumn("Teller",1,ImportTable);
	osTabAddColumn("RR",1,ImportTable);
	osTabImport(Dir,",",ImportTable);
	NrRows = osTabGetRowCount(ImportTable)+1;
	RanInd = round(Random()*(NrRows-1));
	RCh[0]=0;
	for (n=0; n<LastValue(BarCount);n++)
	{
		nrstandev[n] = osTabGet(RanInd[n],Distr-
1,ImportTable);//Zero-based !!!
		RCh[n] = Mu[n] + nrstandev[n]*SD[n];
	}
	osTabDelete(ImportTable);
return RCh;
}

Basically, it uses the OSAKA plugin to randomly read randomly
generated numbers (in "RandomNrsNormDist.csv") with which I then hit
the volty of the series. You obviously first need to generate the
random numbers in the csv, but Excel can do that for you (as you can
read, I also use Mathcad, because it allows me a larger number and
more flexibility in terms of the (theoretical/empirical)
distributions.)

As you can imagine, you can use this function very flexibly, and
choose which expected return/volty you wish. By choosing your
distribution (usually normal, but it can be anything) you can
generate new (even stress-tested) return-series.

Another function I subsequently use then multiplies these series with
a choosen startprice in order to generate the new price series. These
then form the sample of prices based on alternative histories on
which I run my backtests.

I was planning to file these, but knowing TJ will shortly introduce
his MCS, I can't be bothered.

> I haven't rushed at it as I can do it externally if necessary via
> Compuvision, RiskAmp (Xcel based) or MSA Analyser.
>
> I am actually not a true believer in MCS although not a disbeliever
> either.
> It is the best that I am capable of at the moment but I can't quell
> the desire to do better.
>
> One of the things I am trying to prove or disprove is whether the
> general population profile generated by MCS will in fact only be a
> duplicate *image* of the sample data with it's profiling statistics.
> My hypothesis is that I should be able to calculate all of the
stats
> I need for the greater population of unknown trades, without the
> need to run MCS.
> This would be a timesaver.
> Also no matter how many times we run simulations we can *never*
> predict the future.
> We are only looking to acquire the probalities for the future
> datasets.
> Can't we derive them from the sample stats without MCS?
>
> I realise that this is an intuitive and naive view of sample
> distribution but I am looking to the published academics to confirm
> or deny the theory.

I've also added some comments to the feedback centre along these
lines: as you know, there is first of all a difference between
bootstrap and MC simulation. Most discussions on this board deal with
bootstrap, i.e. randomize the series of trades. Second, it is true
that the statistics (parameters) of the aforementioned price series
are similar, i.e. drawn from the same (theoretical) distribution.
However, the price paths aren't, and that's what many use for their
signals. This becomes particularly relevant for the outliers of the
assumed distribution. For example, if you would use the infinite-
variance Levy distributions of Mandelbrot (again, see Taleb) there is
a higher probability of extreme events. When they take place, the
estimated parameters change only modestly, compared to those of the
log-normal distribution which are much more sensitive to stress. FYI,
this is why the options Clearing Corp uses this distribution for
margins. When did the option-smile/skew start to appear,
counterintuitive to the BS-model? After the crash of '87.

> I would love to hear your stories about Capra without boring
> everyone else.
> An email is on the way.

I'll mail you an alternative one if it isn't working.

> Thanks kindly.
Pleasure, but now I've written enough to keep me in credit for a
month or so.

> BrianB2.
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "vlanschot" <ecbu@> wrote:
> >
> > quanttrader714,
> >
> > Q for you:
> >
> > Not knowing the other settings, let's assume the system shows
> > promising results over the IS-period (otherwise why bother
testing
> > further). Let's further assume that the risk/return profile(s) of
> the
> > underlying series is fairly stable over time. Is there not
already
> > natural bias in the fact that the number of trades, regardless of
> IS
> > or OOS, is inticately linked to the aforementioned profile, i.e.
> the
> > expected return, simply because we assume "1 history"? Therefore,
> > having buy-signals drawn "randomly" but benchmarked to the number
> of
> > trades in the OOS-period doesn't give you an unbiased view of the
> > system versus chance?
> >
> > FAC, I'm not criticising you. I realize your suggestion is meant
> as a
> > quick test, but I would suggest to extend it via MCS: generate
> > simulated price-series (stress-tested or not), thus generating
> > hundreds of "alternative histories" and apply one's system to
> these.
> > All this can already be achieved in AB now, although TJ is
> planning a
> > native MCS-functionality.
> >
> > PS
> >
> > (For Brian: unfortunately Capra hates the markets [see his
> > book "Hidden Connections"]. Tried to explain things to him. He
> didn't
> > want to listen. Suggest private e-mail if you want to know more).
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "quanttrader714"
> > <quanttrader714@> wrote:
> > >
> > > This is OT on psychology but a while back I believe you were
> asking
> > > about statistics and trading?  Here's a very simple statistical
> test
> > > that can be run using AB alone.  This simplified example will
> > estimate
> > > the strength of a "long only" system's entries.  Long and short
> > > systems and exits are a bit trickier but the principle is the
> same.
> > >
> > > Run an *out of sample* (OOS) system backtest.  Save the
results.
> > Note:
> > > OOS only!
> > >
> > > Add the following line of code to specify the number of
> iterations.
> > > I'd run 1000 or more but as few as 100 will still give a crude
> > > estimate.
> > >
> > > Iterations = Optimize("Iteration",1,1,1000,1);
> > >
> > > Replace the system's buy condition with the following code but
> leave
> > > the original settings, sell condition and stops in place.
Tweak