[amibroker] Re: OT: Statistics

PS

For the record.

Is there any info around that you know about that explains how to do
MCS in AB now?

I haven't rushed at it as I can do it externally if necessary via
Compuvision, RiskAmp (Xcel based) or MSA Analyser.

I am actually not a true believer in MCS although not a disbeliever
either.
It is the best that I am capable of at the moment but I can't quell
the desire to do better.

One of the things I am trying to prove or disprove is whether the
general population profile generated by MCS will in fact only be a
duplicate *image* of the sample data with it's profiling statistics.
My hypothesis is that I should be able to calculate all of the stats
I need for the greater population of unknown trades, without the
need to run MCS.
This would be a timesaver.
Also no matter how many times we run simulations we can *never*
predict the future.
We are only looking to acquire the probalities for the future
datasets.
Can't we derive them from the sample stats without MCS?

I realise that this is an intuitive and naive view of sample
distribution but I am looking to the published academics to confirm
or deny the theory.

I would love to hear your stories about Capra without boring
everyone else.
An email is on the way.

Thanks kindly.

BrianB2.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "vlanschot" <ecbu@xxx> wrote:

> quanttrader714,
>
> Q for you:
>
> Not knowing the other settings, let's assume the system shows
> promising results over the IS-period (otherwise why bother testing
> further). Let's further assume that the risk/return profile(s) of
the
> underlying series is fairly stable over time. Is there not already
> natural bias in the fact that the number of trades, regardless of
IS
> or OOS, is inticately linked to the aforementioned profile, i.e.
the
> expected return, simply because we assume "1 history"? Therefore,
> having buy-signals drawn "randomly" but benchmarked to the number
of
> trades in the OOS-period doesn't give you an unbiased view of the
> system versus chance?
>
> FAC, I'm not criticising you. I realize your suggestion is meant
as a
> quick test, but I would suggest to extend it via MCS: generate
> simulated price-series (stress-tested or not), thus generating
> hundreds of "alternative histories" and apply one's system to
these.
> All this can already be achieved in AB now, although TJ is
planning a
> native MCS-functionality.
>
> PS
>
> (For Brian: unfortunately Capra hates the markets [see his
> book "Hidden Connections"]. Tried to explain things to him. He
didn't
> want to listen. Suggest private e-mail if you want to know more).
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "quanttrader714"
> <quanttrader714@> wrote:
> >
> > This is OT on psychology but a while back I believe you were
asking
> > about statistics and trading?  Here's a very simple statistical
test
> > that can be run using AB alone.  This simplified example will
> estimate
> > the strength of a "long only" system's entries.  Long and short
> > systems and exits are a bit trickier but the principle is the
same.

> > Run an *out of sample* (OOS) system backtest.  Save the results.
> Note:
> > OOS only!
> >
> > Add the following line of code to specify the number of
iterations.
> > I'd run 1000 or more but as few as 100 will still give a crude
> > estimate.
> >
> > Iterations = Optimize("Iteration",1,1,1000,1);
> >
> > Replace the system's buy condition with the following code but
leave
> > the original settings, sell condition and stops in place.  Tweak
the
> > value in the Buy line (0.975 in this case) so the number of
trades
> is
> > approx. the same number as in the original OOS backtest.  BTW, I
> > personally wouldn't be comfortable with this procedure unless
the
> OOS
> > backtest has at least several hundred trades.
> >
> > Buy= Random()>0.975;
> >
> > Optimize over the OOS period. Sort results by the metric you
want to
> > analyze.  The fraction of optimized results that is greater than
or
> > equal to the OOS backtest metric is an estimate of the
probability