RE: [amibroker] OT: Win XP - Read Only files

That probably depends on what kind of HD you have (SCSI, ATA, SATA..)
it is not important. Most modern drives do not let you do low level
format easily.

At the initial stages of you installation, XP will list the available
partitions
on you HDD. You can select an existing partition and then reformat it
or you can erase an exiting partition and let windows reformat the
free space for you.

ANY TIME YOU DEAL WITH PARTITIONS LOOK THRICE BEFORE PRESSING OK!

if you let windows create (not format) your partition you will loose
about 8MB on some reserved space.
I am not sure what it is for. If you use something like Partition
Magic (now part of Norton..)
to create the partition you will not loose this space and have finer
control on partition sizes.
(you can also use it later to resize your partitions WITHOUT loosing
any data
 these guys are almost as smart as TJ ;).

My personal preference is to use Partition Magic to reformat the
partitions. I reserve a 20GB
NTFS partition for system/ program files and the rest for other. (with
coming Win Vista
this will have to grow to 50GB / rest).

If you really want to be picky you can reserve another 5GB as FAT
partition (on a separate
drive than the system drive, preferably) for highest speed pagefile.

All I am saying is it is important to reformat the partition on which
you will install a new system
so there will be NO leftovers from the past.

After your install is complete, and BEFORE you install any additional
software, move your
pagefile to its separate partition of FIXED size (do not let windows
manage it) and run
disc compression (part of windows defragmentation). Now you can
install other software
and use external defragmenter to optimize your system.

Joseph Biran

  _____