[amibroker] Re: Scan for Bulkowski's chart patterns

"...I suggest it is not due to limitations of our equipment, but simply
a system that is no good as it is explained..."

That's precisely the conclusion I've come to, and it's all Tomasz's
fault for building AB and making such testing possible.:)

If I can strain your chess analogy a little bit, the edge that
grandmasters have is that, of all the potential moves available to them
they can quickly recognize the critical ones and focus on them,
excluding all the others as unimportant "noise."

As traders, that's what I think we should aspire to.  A stock doesn't go
up because a 5-day EMA crosses above a 20-day EMA or because the
directional movement index is positive and the ADX is greater than 30.
Those indicators coincide with the stock's uptrend but aren't the cause.
Neither is the cause to be found in linear regression, Gann angles,
Fibonnaci numbers, etc.  What is the cause, then?  Theorize, and then
test the theory for validity.  That's when we can start to learn
something.  Otherwise, all we're doing is testing random data for
patterns that are only meaningless coincidences, like the Superbowl
Theory.

And that's enough sermonizing from me.:)

Luck,

Sebastian
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "M Webb" <the_bear_98@xxx> wrote:

> In the old days, programming a computer to play chess and capture the
mind of a Grandmaster, with the instant "pattern recognition" they
possessed was very difficult. It took many years before the combination
of computing power and programming finally got rolling. Now we have
programs that will beat you like a borrowed mule. It is easy to grade
these programs as they have ratings that prove how good they are. During
this same time frame, we now have the computers and programming to
really back-test and prove a trading theory might have worked in the
past. We can go buy a book, program it, and discover it doesn't produce
a reward/risk worth trying at all. Now in the old days, the Grandmaster
would say "I only think one move ahead, but it is always the best move."
We found a way to mostly brute force find the same move, but when we try
to program one of the successful traders systems, the back-test does not
pan out. I suggest it is not due to limitations of our equipment, but
simply a system that is no good as it is explained.

> Although it might be theoretically possible to combine two losing
systems with a magic ranking process that could produce an overall
winner, I feel safe in saying no one can come up with an example they
would share.

> Monty

trading techniques that show negative backtest results individually,but
when combined produce above average returns...

>   I am over in Elite trader observing a candlestick debate,and trying
to understand how "savvy" traders who fully acknowledge that
candlepatterns fail miserably in backtests insist that they are a great
confirming indicator..

>   Is there a method to this madness??
>
>   Allan

There
>   > are "soft" factors that are key to their success that AREN'T in
their
>   > "written down" or "official" methods. And if every factor isn't
>   > included the method can't be accurately tested for validity.
>   >
>   > JMO, but I suspect that's one of the reasons it's so difficult for
>   > traders to duplicate the success of even legitimate, well-meaning
>   > system-sellers or "gurus." Maybe they really know something
>   > unique, or
>   > maybe they just had a run of luck when their "fuzzy" thinking
>   > paid off
>   > but that particular set of conditions won't ever be repeated.
>   >
>   >
>   > Luck,
>   >
>   > Sebastian
>   > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, allansn@ wrote:
>   > >
>   > > Hi Jim,
>   > >
>   > > What I find interesting about various pattern recognitions
>   > such as Edwards and Magee type formations and candlesticks is
>   > when you
>   > backtest them in isolation they simply show no predictive
>   > power.I am
>   > predominantly refferring to Candlesticks as I have done extensive
>   > testing in that area.
>   > >
>   > > Yet,I have friends who strictly trade off them with western
price
>   > patterns and trendlines and return well over 50% annually.
>   > >
>   > > Others I know use them as a filter to their systematic
trading,and
>   > they know full well that Candlesticks do not backtest well.But
>   > they wont
>   > trade without them
>   > >
>   > > Interesting how the mind works