[amibroker] Re: Scan for Bulkowski's chart patterns

Allan,

This is very interesting.
Thanks for posting your experiences.
There is no better way to elucidate the subject to newcomers than
with case histories, expecially when they are critiqued by
experienced traders.

One thing they can take from your post is that they should set their
PA% target in the low-mid teens or better, as a starting point, and
then seek to better that later.
As a business proposition <20% PA is not worth getting out of bed
for when you discount the hours of personal effort required, on top
of a return on the capital invested (these are consistent mean net
annual returns I am talking about).

My observation is that the most common failing of aspiring traders
is that they only pay lip service to their own fundamental creeds.
We say one thing and do something else altogether.

In these examples, traders who ignore the results of correctly
conducted analysis and/or do not follow every rule of a properly
constructed trading system every time, are not system traders.
They might be successful traders but they are definitely not system
traders.

Thanks also to S and Jerry who provided excellent contributions.

(WARNING: the following contains opinionated and speculative comment)

I am not a person who needs to defer to extraneous authorities so I
am busily working to construct my own trading style based on my own
trading philosophies.
It's a work in progress.
Of course I don't try to reinvent the wheel and I do respect the
past giants of TA theory and practice as well as other experienced
traders.
Like all objective researchers I am reluctant to *go  into print*
until my *work* is complete, triple checked and has plenty of
confirmation from *real* world examples.
I can tell you that my preliminary findings scoff at many of the
sacred cows of trading culture.
I am now rushing to read a good cross section of the published works
because I am looking to either find agreement elsewhere  or simply
confirm I am on my own.
"Why aren't other Technical Analysts making these observations?", I
ask myself.

For the benefit of the Ami community I can give a small peak under
the covers.

Published Trading Psychologists make the Theory of Relativity sound
like the Readers Digest.
Published Technicians give us the Theory of Relativity when all we
need is the Readers Digest version.

Technical Analysis theory has been hijacked by the academics.

Everything we need to say about chart partterns can be written in a
very small book, except for the pages of diagrams that allow us to
confirm what patterns we are talking about.
Chart patterns are easily tested for statistically significant
variation and variance from random behaviour and yes, some patterns
do pass the test.
Everything we need to know about money management can be written in
a a few pages.
To be conservative I will allow for a few diagrams as well.
The jury is still out on cyclic trading.

Of course, time may prove me to be an utter fool, but foolishness is
not something I have any fear of.

BrianB2   =8-)

P.S. Sorry no further explanation will be provided.
No emails please.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, allansn@xxx wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
>           What I find interesting about various pattern
recognitions such as Edwards and Magee type formations and
candlesticks is when you backtest them in isolation they simply show
no predictive power.I am predominantly refferring to Candlesticks as
I have done extensive testing in that area.

> Yet,I have friends who strictly trade off them with western price
patterns and trendlines and return well over 50% annually.

> Others I know use them as a filter to their systematic trading,and
they know full well that Candlesticks do not backtest well.But they
wont trade without them