Re: [amibroker] Re: Hurst Channels Code

Are you familiar with the ideas in the following book : 'Millard: Channels en cycles, a tribute to Hurst' ?

Ton.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Fred
  To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 8:03 PM
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Hurst Channels Code

  Which performs a parabolic extrapolation ... doesn't it ?

  I don't see how this is particularly helpful in predicting that the
  lagging edge bands will come together at the current or a future
  bar ...

  What am I missing ?!

  --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ton Sieverding"
  <ton.sieverding@xxx> wrote:

  > That's a long email for a short answer Fred. I am using the Ace
  code ...

  > Ton.

  FPA ) and
  > using FLD's, VTL's and other techniques ...
  > 2. As far as the tools and the math involved in the later
  chapters
  > and appendicies it is also clear that Hurst not only employed
  the
  > techniques therein but other more sophisticated techniques that
  he
  > didn't really write much about in PM. Clues to this can be seen
  in
  > the bibliography.
  > 3. While PC's and AB didn't exist in 1970, mainframes and mini's
  did
  > and if you recall we had already managed to get to the moon and
  back
  > mostly by use of the slide rule.
  > 4. The curvelinear bands that Hurst's uses are in essence n
  period
  > centered moving averages with percentage or standard deviation
  bands
  > around them which by their nature can not be computed closer
  than n /
  > 2 bars prior to the current bar. As such one must have some
  > technique for extrapolating those bands to at least the current
  bar
  > and preferably beyond. Without this capability one would have
  > already experienced half the move in the opposite direction when
  the
  > CMA catches up.
  >
  > My question then is ... If you are using curvelinear bands of
  one
  > sort or another inside AB how are you constructing the bands and
  what
  > methodologies are you using to extrapolate them ?
  >
  > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ton Sieverding"
  > <ton.sieverding@> wrote:
  > >
  > > Hurst wrote 'The Profit Magic of Stock Transaction Timing' in
  1970.
  > When the technical annalist was using pencil and paper for his
  > graphs. Bill Gates and TJ still did not exist and Hurst was not
  using
  > a PC. I've tried to get the original version of the book but
  only got
  > the reprinted version from 2000. Frankly I have the feeling that
  > Chapter 11 as well as the Appendices have been added at the time
  of
  > the reprint. This to give you my opinion how I see the book. It
  is an
  > attempt to work with forecasted envelopes. And a good one ...
  > >
  > > For me the practical 'red line' for using the Hurst principle
  is as
  > I told you already rather simple. Try to construct two trading
  bands.
  > A long and a short period trading band. Hurst tells you how to
  do
  > that with pencil and paper. The software today does it
  automatically
  > for you. As soon as the short band is above the long one and the
  > price above the short band you will have an 'overbought'
  situation.
  > When the short band falls below the long band and the price is
  below
  > the short band you have an 'oversold' situation. The combination
  of
  > these 'overbought' and 'oversold' situations with a falling
  resp.
  > rising long trend will give you the SELL and BUY signals. I am
  using
  > Hurst with weekly views and indexes and must say that the
  results are
  > very good ...
  > >
  > > Ton.

  Hurst