What gets saved in a layout?

I would appreciate someone confirming this:  you can NOT save a date span or
zoom level in a layout.

Is this true and if it is not, how do you save a date span.

I would like to save a chart which ALWAYS displays the most recent 3 months
of data...or 6 months, etc.  If I set a 6 month span, save the layout.
Switch to another layout, change the zoom level, and reload the original
layout, the zoom level or datespan in the reloaded layout is different than
what was saved and represents the last zoom level achieved manually.

I suspect this is built-in behavior, but the help file implies otherwise.
In "Working with Chart Sheets and Window Layouts", the following is stated:
"Information saved in layouts include: window sizes and postions,
maximized/minimized state chart panes available on each sheet (independent
for each window), selected bar interval, selected symbol, selected chart
sheet."   Selected bar interval implies a given date span (or it may just
mean saving 15 min bars vs 30 min bars).

In any case, can date spans be saved?

Thanks,

Ken