RE: [amibroker] Backtester picks wrong stocks

Jim,

As I tried to explain below, I believe it works correctly unless you do
something with PositionSize as in the following example AND you are
trading Next Day OPEN. Simply setting the PositionSize as you have done
is fine. You will not get a "looks into the future" error with this
example, but it effectively does look into the future:

TradeDelays(1,1,1,1);

PositionSize = = -100 / 6;

BuyPrice = SellPrice = ShortPrice = CoverPrice = Open;

//Your code to get a signal goes here

//.

SetForeign("$RUT"); //Market is OK to trade when $RUT RSI > 30.

    MarketOK = IIf(RSI(14) > 30,1,0);

RestorePriceArrays();

PositionSize = PositionSize * MarketOK; //This is the problem code

Buy = yourCondition;

//and so on.

This looks into the future because the evaluation of MarketOK and
PositionSize is taken on the day of the trade, which is tomorrow. This
info cannot be known in real-time because the RSI depends on the Close.

To fix the above problem do this instead:

//PositionSize = PositionSize * MarketOK; //Delete this line of code

Buy = yourCondition AND MarketOK; //Now we are using MarketOK on the
signal day instead of the trading day

SIDE NOTE: There is a similar problem with using AA->Settings->Portfolio
tab->"Limit trade size as % of entry bar volume" when using
TradeDelays(1,1,1,1) and OPEN prices because the Volume that is used is
tomorrow's closing Volume (which IS the entry bar volume, but it is info
that cannot be known at the time of the trade). When running in
real-time it will use Today's volume since tomorrow's volume does not
yet exist. This is not as significant a problem because it just allows a
somewhat larger or smaller trade that you would get by using Today's
volume as the limit.

--

Terry