Re: [amibroker] ADX?ers ? Riddle me this

Hi Gerard,

The example you showed is during a pretty darn good uptrend.  ADX is
one of the better indicators ever created, IMHO, and as you have
seen, when a strong uptrend pulls back, the odds are very strongly in
favor of a resumption of that trend.

The period of time you posted shows a *really* strong ADX(14), the
lowest dip just barely getting under 30.  This in itself is a very
strong measure of trend strength.

What you are seeing on the "double dip" days appears to me to be much
more indicative of a long entry the closer +DI has come to touching
-DI.  When they are far apart, mean reversion would indicate a higher
probability of that knock-out correction you want to enter on. Again,
this is in keeping with the idea that a trend takes a breather, but
doesn't really reverse -- until it's not a trend anymore.  You have
to be wrong at the end, but you are right the rest of the time.

The spikes on -DI in a strong trend, like you posted, are entry
signals -- when they reverse. The only problem is making sure you
have a real spike. You seem to have a good momentum indicator (in
black) to go with this. Notice that on the minor -DI spikes and
reversals, that black level is still rather high, telling you that
you're not really in a prime entry spot at that time.  But when your
momentum gauge goes below zero, all the -DI spike-reversals seem to
show good entries.  I'm not surprised, since they also correspond to
a good convergence of +DI and -DI.

Other periods of ADX are useful as well ...

Yuki