[amibroker] Re: Trading the Kaleidoscope

My pleasure.
Steve Karnish combined LinRegSlope with Stochastic Momentum
and True Strength, all being momentum indicators in their own right.
Steve used fibonacci numbers in his formula.
I haven't. Not intentionally anyway.

>From memory, and Steve posted on this list a year or two ago, he
likes to use his indicator on less volatile stocks/whatever to catch
medium-term trend moves.
My intention was to use it to catch short-term trends using EOD data.
While I have not experimented with intraday I see no reason why a
version could not be used.
Momentum occurs in all markets and time frames.
I'm a momentum freak. I'm not AFL proficient by any means.

The important thing in my mind is to find a momentum indicator,
displaying upthrusts and retreats, that CORRESPONDS to trend line
breaks on the price chart.

I first plot long-term, medium-term, and short term trend lines on
the price chart in different colours.
Then I note where trend lines (in all three time frames) are violated
by price.
Next I manipulate a (possible) momentum formula for each time frame
until I get a match.

I plot the LT indicator as a light, dashed line, the MT indicator as
a dark, black solid line, the ST indicator as a dark, red, solid
line, and the ST indicator again, as a dark, red, histogram.

Now I've got my Market Momentum Map which I use as described in my
original post.

Now, the important question.
Is this a good momentum indicator. You bet.

Is it one of a kind, in its mathematical construction?
I have many others that display very similar results.

AB is the hero here in enabling a graphical display from which a
comprehensive understanding of the market can be obtained at a glance.
Even by a drongo like me.

Thanks again TJ

Regds
Gerard

ps. Apologies if this explanation got a little long.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cstrader232" <cstrader232@xxx>
wrote:

> Yes, very interesting.... is the Kaleidoscope known to be better
for some timeframes or markets than others?

> thanks!

Kaleidoscope"

>   /* This formula was developed to signal short-term trend changes
>   in the direction of the CONFIRMED Medium-Term trend - thus giving
both
>   long and short opportunities.
>   See the attachment.
>
>   The red histogram plots the MT trend as being up (above zero line)
>   or being down (below zero line).
>   The black line plots the ST trend in the same manner.
>
>   /* The long entry is signalled when the red Histogram is ABOVE
zero and
>   the black ST line, after dipping below the zero line, reverses
back up
>   (green arrow).
>   Likewise, the Short entry is signalled when the red Histogram is
BELOW
>   zero and the black ST line, after rising above the zero line,
reverses
>   back down (red arrow).  */
>
>   // NB. Exits are NOT sigalled. As usual, signals appear more
reliable in
>   less volatile markets.
>
>   // Trading the Kaleidoscope
>   CA=LinRegSlope(C,5)
>   + 100 * ( EMA( EMA( C - Ref( C, -1 ) ,2 ) ,5)
>   / EMA( EMA( abs( C - Ref( C, -1) ),2 ), 5 ) )
>   +100 * ( EMA( EMA( C - (0.5 * ( HHV(H,13) + LLV(L,13))),2),5)
>   / (0.5 * EMA( EMA( HHV(H,13) - LLV(L,13),2),5 ) ) );
>
>   CB=LinRegSlope(C,5)
>   + 100 * ( EMA( EMA( C - Ref( C, -1 ) ,2 ) ,25)
>   / EMA( EMA( abs( C - Ref( C, -1) ),2 ), 25) )
>   +100 * ( EMA( EMA( C - (0.5 * ( HHV(H,13) + LLV(L,13))),2),25)
>   / (0.5 * EMA( EMA( HHV(H,13) - LLV(L,13),2),25) ) );
>
>   Plot(CA,"Trading the Kaleidoscope",1,4);
>   Plot(CB," Child",4,4);
>   Plot(CB,"",4,2+4);
>   Plot(0,"",4);
>
>   CondA= CB>0 AND (CA<0 OR Ref(CA,-1)<0) AND CA>Ref(CA,-1)
>   AND Ref(CA,-1)<Ref(CA,-2) ;
>   PlotShapes( shapeSmallUpTriangle*CondA, 5,L,-100) ;
>
>   CondB= CB<-0 AND (CA>0 OR Ref(CA,-1)>0) AND CA<Ref(CA,-1)
>   AND Ref(CA,-1)>Ref(CA,-2) ;
>   PlotShapes( shapeSmallDownTriangle*CondB, 4,H,100);
>
>   --
>   http://www.fastmail.fm - And now for something completely
different.

>   Please note that this group is for discussion between users only.
>
>   To get support from AmiBroker please send an e-mail directly to
>   SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
>
>   For other support material please check also:
>   http://www.amibroker.com/support.html
>

>   Yahoo! Groups Links
>

>   Please note that this group is for discussion between users only.
>
>   To get support from AmiBroker please send an e-mail directly to
>   SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
>
>   For other support material please check also:
>   http://www.amibroker.com/support.html

investment software  Investment property software
>         Software support  Real estate investment analysis software
Investment software

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/GHeqlB/TM