Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 11:33 PM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Portfolio Backtester

Steve,

You seem to have grasped the portfolio backtest quite well.... "Stock Selection" might have been an unfortunate phrase that I used ...

What it provides above all is that it provides some approximation to the real world.

Your conclusion that "Should I infer that those stocks that were actually traded are the best stocks to trade with that system?" is quite correct. The issues trades were indeed the best at the "time and place" when avaiable funds and opportunity met.

Portfolio backtester provides some additional useful functions / controls.
- PositionScore: Allows you to prioritize selection. Example: Say you are buying stocks with a rising stochastic. You would of course prefer stock that have the lowest value of stochastic. You can specify a range of course, but PositionScore can pick the issue with the lowest stochastic value within the permissable range.

- It also provides you valid data of drawdowns and other statistics that would not be as accurate or even possible with individual backtest.

- Further, advanced backtest has some additional features such as scale-in, scale-out etc...

While individual backtest may provide some info by testing every issue, I don't think that you will miss any significant insight if you switch to portfolio testing.

Stock Selection for actual trading would still be done from an exploration, so the fundamental process of trading does not change, but the information provided by portfolio level is better and simulation is more realistic.